Sunday, January 29, 2023

Conference Championship Sunday

 

(Photo: ESPN)

Oh, the Super Bowl.

I've watched them all since the 12th edition.

Today/tonight, of course, are the conference championship games. The Eagles already beat up on the 49ers to win the NFC. I think San Francisco was trying to get John Brodie to play quarterback at one point.

(Brodie is 87 and retired in 1973 before becoming a very good broadcaster)

Just now, the Kansas City Chiefs finished off the Cincinnati Bengals to win the AFC. Oh my, but we'll be talking about that game. It's always the officials' fault, right?

Anyway, for me, this is the best possible outcome: Chiefs/Eagles. Super Bowl LVII.

As you likely know, I am a Pittsburgh Steelers fan and have been for over 40 years.

So there was no way on Arthur Rooney's planet that I would pull for the Bengals. At least not now.

OK, I have to be fair. Once upon a time, I appreciated the Bengals of Super Bowl XVI when Ken Anderson was their quarterback. To be clear, we're talking in 1982. They lost to San Francisco in that game in Pontiac, MI. That was the 49ers first Super Bowl title and they went on to win five.

The Steelers still lead the charge with six Lombardi trophies. Oh, I know, the Patriots have six also but let's not go down that road. 

Regardless, I'm not going to root for the Niners to tie the Steelers.

So, yes, the best scenario is Eagles/Chiefs.

It's also a different matchup as we've never seen this one before.

I like having no rooting interest. I'll be able to kick back two weeks from tonight and just let the game play out in front of me.

I can enjoy food and drinks wherever I watch it.

Then I can root for drama as the night goes along. 

It's perfect and I'll take it. Now, just give us a great game.

*****


Just a quick note about calling Boomslang Basketball Club in two games this morning in New York. The girls from Boomslang defeated the Grey Wolves team in the first game while holding on to beat a tough Greenwich Stars game in the second one.

In between, I popped in my AirPods and listened to some music. One of these days I need to do a deeper dive and a post on the station I listened to: Arctic Outpost Radio (AM 1270) from Longyearbyen, Norway. I was introduced to it during the pandemic and listen to it occasionally for its eclectic mix of old records prior to 1958.

Count Basie? Oh, yes, please. Just for instance.

But, more importantly, the basketball games were a lot of fun and I'm pleased to be their play-by-play announcer, despite the continued curiosity and awkward looks I get.

A new week dawns tomorrow with game broadcasts stretched out all week. In fact, the next couple of weeks will be like that.

And another Super Bowl is on the way.

No comments: