Friday, January 27, 2023

Godfather? Me?

 


Nobody is sleeping with the fishes tonight.

There were no ambushes at the toll booth.

I called Norwalk and Trumbull in girls high school basketball tonight for the TEN Network, the home of Trumbull Eagles sports. I was happy to be back since I might be on the call of the FCIAC championships again this year and the conference has been a constant throughout my career.

The TEN Network is a channel I helped mentor to get up and running and I am sort of their honorary lead broadcaster. I jump on when Jeff Alterman (TEN is his baby) asks. With a quiet Friday on my hands, I'm happy to go do a game.

It's my passion to do such things and I enjoy hanging with Jeff so we teamed up once again. David Cohen, a friend of Jeff's rounded out our booth.

Jeff warned me that he had a special introduction lined up for me. Yes, he sure did.

At the top of the broadcast, Jeff brought me on by saying that I am "the Godfather of Connecticut High School Sports Broadcasting." I mean, that's pretty high praise and I don't take it lightly. Of course, I'm sure there are others who are probably more deserving of the title so I mention it here with all humility and a certain amount of tongue planted in cheek.

The "Godfather" didn't think he was at the top of his game tonight either. I mean I was fine but nothing worthy of such a compliment. 

The two teams played hard and there was a wonderful unified basketball game at halftime. Of course, I sort of called some of that also. The joy on everyone's faces was wonderful.

But, like I said, I wasn't my best tonight. That is enough to keep me humble. If I draw a little too much hubris there are ways to smack me right back down.

Attitude matters. I'd like to somehow explain that. 

So I called the game. I laughed and I enjoyed myself. When it was over (Trumbull won) I packed up and went home.

Then I'll get ready to do it again (Sunday, 10 a.m.).

I made my way home. I'll be back on TEN again soon. It's fun. It makes me happy.

I came home to have a small bite before sitting down to write.

I had a bagel.

No cannoli anywhere in site.

No comments: