Thursday, June 17, 2021

The empty stadium

 


The final out had been recorded and the Renegades had won.

Sean said his goodnight and took his camera back to the office. Then he drove away.

As the game wasn't too long, I stayed and wrote my game story in the booth.

Soon, it was down to just a few souls at Dutchess Stadium.

I love an empty arena. Before the game and, especially, after a game, it brings me some peace. It brings me time to reflect and a chance to mostly check out with nobody around.

I've dashed out of the stadium several times not long after getting off the air, opting to write at home. But tonight, I elected to stay for a while.

Not long. I've had the lights turned out on me and that's no fun. Then you're walking out of your way to find the only remaining open gate.

In this case, a few banks of lights stayed on as I wrote a quick game story

The cool night air came through the open window and I eventually closed things up.

I could have stayed and took it all in but I hadn't really felt my best tonight and decided it was best to get home to be with Rascal. The one in Mahopac.

I wondered how many people were actually left. I figured a few were still down in the office. I was quite wrong. As I drove away, the parking lot was empty. 

The buses that transport the players to and from the hotel drove off.

It really was just a few people remaining, including me.

It was definitely time to go home.

There are plenty of nights remaining. Like, say, tomorrow.

I'm settling in and feeling about as OK as I can.

No comments: