Friday, June 18, 2021

Getting better all the time

 

You say it's his birthday

A doubleheader is on for today.

No. Not "Doubleheader" but two baseball games -- first pitch at 5:05 p.m. -- meaning I can't do then radio show.

So here I am, creating stat reports and looking over notes. Also doing some general cleaning.

Oh, and laundry.

Rascal is nearby. Not that Rascal, but the one I named because he's a rascal and for Rascal.

Sheesh.

I figured I should throw a few thoughts down because I nearly had it end last night.

I was in the stadium, as I wrote. I did the game recap and was sort of lingering. Thinking.

The car moved along I-84 towards the Taconic.

I was listening to John and Suzyn call Yankees/Blue Jays. Of course, neither one was in Toronto or Buffalo, where the game was actually being played. We really have to get our fellow broadcasters back out on the road, I thought. Me included, that is.

I thought about the broadcast. In truth, I didn't feel well all night. I was slightly lightheaded and struggled to concentrate. 

Random thoughts through the game:

"Did I say the score enough?" "Am I repeating myself?" "Who's pitching?" "Did I do the spot read?" "What graphic am I supposed to talk up?"

I just felt...off.

So, as I drove home, I figured we got through it. Hopefully, the listener didn't know.

Overall, a passing grade.

The checkmarks and random thoughts continued in the car.

And then it hit me: I hadn't written P365.

No need for panic. There was time. I knew I'd be home around 11, giving me an hour to throw something together. I had a picture of the stadium with a few lights still on. That will do.

It was going to be OK.

A doubleheader awaits. BlueClaws and Renegades again.

Lineups to be reviewed. Scorecards to make up. Stat packs and game notes to look through. "Rob's Roundup" to record.

Two games. Then sleep and onto tomorrow.

Somewhere along the line, I'll get the lawn mowed. Sure I will.

Oh, did I mention that the stadium is 100% open? Not sure if I said that. Get tickets. Come up and visit me in the booth.

Lastly, it's Paul McCartney's birthday and he's the GOAT.

So take any sad songs today and make them better.

And live and let die.

No comments: