Saturday, June 12, 2021

Championship Saturday

 

Rudy and Matt talk to the (probably) underdressed broadcaster
(Kevin Halpenny photo)

I called three games today, watching a town come together and honor their athletes.

While Connecticut crowned most of their remaining high school sports champions, I was in Milford, PA describing the exploits of the Belles, Storm, Iron Pigs, River Bandits, Dodgers, and Yankees.

To be sure, Mookie Betts and Aaron Judge were nowhere to be found and that was OK. I was content to watch the young athletes that I saw as they competed for a title in the Delaware Valley.

Over nine hours, families came and went to the Milford Ball Field, eating hot dogs and hamburgers while lustily cheering for softball and baseball players who were simply happy to be there.

Teams won and lost. Tears were shed and then quickly discarded. Smiles were the theme of the day.


Following the softball championship -- the first game of the day -- I watched as the Belles and the Storm signed each other's jerseys. Keep in mind the Storm won the game 11-0 in only four innings.

After the Major game -- the last of the day -- I interviewed one player from each team and the losing player said he was happy. Sure, losing isn't fun but now he wanted to be in the home run derby!

There was ice cream or dinner or dinner and ice cream to be eaten! 

I know it's fleeting but I simply love that feeling of community. This is where there feels like there is no "end of the innocence" though I realize it's naive to think otherwise. Still I heard nary a bad word all day.

And believe me, I heard plenty. I heard the overzealous parents getting too involved with their child as the game went on and yelling at the umpire about the ball and strike calls. But I also overheard that one player was having a birthday today and they sang to him after the final out.

Then some donuts were passed around (strange broadcasters aren't offered such extravagances).

That being said, the Delaware Valley Youth Sports League fed me -- and everyone -- just fine. Burgers and dogs and water were all free.

Despite being surrounded by families for the broadcasts (which always makes me uncomfortable) I stayed within myself and did what I do.

I did so in cargo shorts, a polo shirt, an Under Armour pullover, and sneakers. For what it's worth, nobody cared. Furthermore, I've been asked to do more. Guess my impression wasn't so bad on them.

Best of all, I drove home and had no horror story of a tire blowout or anything else. I shook my head as I passed that spot on Interstate 84.

Today can simply be pronounced a success.

I'm proud to have called them. I was happy to be there.

With that, the Gades are back home on Tuesday.

Bring 'em on.

No comments: