Wednesday, April 21, 2021

The shutdown

 

Gio Urshela (photo: USA Today)

Justice was served last night in Minneapolis and I was ready to report it.

I had heard the verdict in the Derek Chauvin trial was in and was expected to be announced while I was on the air doing "Doubleheader."

The news actually broke roughly ten minutes after I got off the air but I was prepared just in case. While I still discussed sports, I stepped into my news reporting outfit and tried to deftly move between the two, in preparation for whatever was coming.

From there, I waited and watched.

As the verdict was read, I pondered what, if anything, I'd say either on social media or here on the blog.

I found a tweet from NBA reporter Shams Charania that summed up the verdict, retweeted it, and...

I ate dinner.

I watched the Yankees/Braves game.

I texted.

I watched more baseball.

I fell asleep.

To sum up, I was off social media completely for the night.

I didn't care what you had to say -- you on the left or you on the right.

I didn't care what the media had to say either. Nope. I didn't need Sean Hannity or Chris Cuomo or Anderson Cooper. I didn't even need local news.

Nobody -- not a soul -- was going to inform me of something I didn't already know. Nobody was going to change my mind, given I saw the video and had the facts on this case last year.

I had no interest in watching the reaction last night. 

And sure enough, come this morning, I read enough #hottakes.

In my opinion, this was the healthiest approach for my sanity and I'm glad I did it.

I addressed things when I opened "Doubleheader" today. I expected a guilty verdict. We got a guilty verdict.

Then I talked sports. The Yankees found a way to win. So did the Knicks. The Rangers and Mets both lost. Some games today were postponed due to the weather.

Stuff like that.

The world continues to rotate.

No comments: