Wednesday, August 28, 2019

What About "Bob?"



My given name, not surprisingly, is Robert. I'm named for my father, who was known by both Don/Donald (his middle name) and Bob.

I remember hearing him say his name was Bob to people he'd meet outside of the family. His coworkers also called him that as well. In more formal circumstances, he was known as Robert.

It got confusing, and it sounded weird.

As for me, I was never Donald. I was, however, Robbie (spelled that way, and don't you forget it). To this day, I still happily answer to that, though almost nobody calls me it anymore.

I was Robert when I was in trouble or being called to do something.

I actually didn't become Rob until I was in junior high school. I can still remember my dad seeing that I used it in the yearbook.

"Rob," he said. "Hmmm."

And that was it.

I used Robbie when I first got into broadcasting because it was 1990 and I was still raw after my dads passing. By 1996, I shortened it when I was at WREF. In the rest of my world, I was now Rob.

Still, Robbie makes me smile.

I bring this all up because there's often an assumption of calling people by the shortened version of their name. My son doesn't have an issue, because Sean is Sean. Anything beyond that is a nickname, and there are plenty of those.

But Robert can get murky. Robert, of course, is too formal. Rob is what I answer to, though I've said Robbie is also fine.

But Bob? No. Like, seriously, no.

Oh, there were always exceptions, like random people of authority. Correcting them seemed disrespectful so I normally let it go.

Not everyone wants the shortened version.

Not every Susan is Sue. Not ever William is Bill (or Billy) or Will. Not every Thomas is Tom.

Not every Richard is...well...not Rick at at least.

And not every Robert is Bob.

Especially me.

No comments: