Tuesday, August 27, 2019

I Did My Best

The handshake line forms following the victory tonight
I'm back from the second night of my two-game stint with the Hudson Valley Renegades.

Where I felt I was off last night, I felt much better tonight.

From there, it's in the eye of the beholder, and your mileage may vary.

But I felt more coherent. More cohesive. There was a better rhythm to my play-by-play description.

The game certainly helped. It was a well-pitched, well-played, tidy 3-0 win for the Gades over the Connecticut Tigers.

My three innings produced the games first run on a groundout.

For the second night in a row, when my play-by-play innings were over, my body sagged as adrenaline just flowed out of me.

The ride of a sports broadcaster -- well, this broadcaster -- is a nasty roller coaster. The highs. The lows.

But in my case, I almost never get too high. I just refuse.

I felt dejected after last night. A little deflated, I suppose.

So, tonight, I simply walked out of Dutchess Stadium, watched the traffic, and repeated my mantra: "I did my best."

It's all I can do.

On and off, I've been around the Gades since they first took the field in 1994. I've been an (occasional) broadcaster since 2001.

Will I do anything with the Renegades in 2020? I guess only time will tell.

No comments: