Friday, August 30, 2019

Another Era Ends

His first day of Kindergarten, 2007
Sean left today to return to his mother.

In essence, that means summer is over.

Oh, I know what the calendar says, but our full weeks together have once again come to an end.

He returns to John Jay High School next Thursday where he'll begin his senior year.

There are pictures all over of kids starting their first day of school. They're holding message boards and hand-drawn signs announcing the new beginnings.

Others just pose at the bus stop or in their living room or on their front porch.

And they should.

There will, however, likely be no picture of Sean. Or if there is, I won't see it without begging.

But of note is the fact that he doesn't want one taken anyway. My son, who normally takes pictures willingly, isn't interested.
Last Saturday, with Taco
I suppose the bigger thing I'm driving at is that, for the last eight years (nine next week), I've not seen him get on the bus that first day. I wasn't there to force him to get his picture taken (too bad, I'm the dad, and I don't play that card often).

I'll text him, and we'll talk, but I otherwise have no involvement.

I certainly am not looking for pity here. It is, as they say, what it is, and it comes with the territory.

But this is the last full summer. It's the last "first day" of school for him.

He'll be a senior.

He'll graduate next year.

And time, of course, will march on.

No comments: