Sunday, August 18, 2019

That's Enough

Passing through here sometime tomorrow (Delaware)
I called this post "That's Enough" for two reasons:

1) I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow in North Carolina. Realistically I can't afford it and will do everything in my soul to make it affordable. But I have to go for several reasons, not the least of which is I'm George Jetson walking Astro the dog and saying, "Jane! Stop this crazy thing."

So we'll come back to that.

But then there's...

Nah. Umpire Ben May is just looking to make dinner plans and thought the Yankees wanted to join him.
2) And the truth is, I had a whole rant written about the Yankees kerfuffle in their game against the Indians with the umpiring crew. I've changed it. I said what I needed to say on social media and will let others continue to ramble on.

Those who think they know better as they sit in their towers.

The truth is, I'll change no minds, so why bother writing? Yankees wrong (oh, and I'm biased of course). Umpires right. Brett Gardner is the first to ever throw a fit.

We're good.

Enjoy this lovely collection of baseball tantrums instead (Gardner included, along with St. David Ortiz).

*****
The part of Astro will be played by Sonic the Hedgehog
With that said and put to bed, as I will not be taking questions (just like all umpires), I will move onto trip planning.

I love to travel. Like, love love love it.

But I'm not great at just throwing stuff in a bag and going. Can I do that? I guess, but it's not my style.

More often than not, I'm the planner of the whole thing. Find the hotels, restaurants, what roads, and on and on and on.

I spent most of the day in some form of travel mode. Pack. Make the proper arrangments for Chico (the large gray cat). Get dissatisfied with my choice of luggage. Pack again. Do any necessary laundry. Check that the car is ready.

Think about which route I want to take. Can I get to the now-completed Interstate 95 from New Jersey into Pennsylvania? Will I hit Philadelphia at rush hour?

We're staying over tomorrow night, a concession to making things easier, and not normally my style. I love the challenge of the one-day drive. I love writing down the times and mileage, and seeing how it all stacks up. I can draw from six previous drives, and have a spreadsheet to back it all up.

Missing from this edition of the trip will be the 5:30 a.m. start time from New York. However, we'll do that on Tuesday morning when we leave the hotel, so instead of concerning myself with New York and Philadephia morning rush, it will be Baltimore and Washington.

I was taught as a kid to fear Washington D.C. rush hour with all proper respect and might. I still do.

I'll be pondering it and relying on the Waze app, as well as WTOP Radio for constant updates.

It's like sports to me. There's a strategy involved. It can be very cerebral. It can be grueling (up early, drive all day).

If it all goes well, I'll be sitting in my niece's house by sometime Tuesday afternoon. We'll also make every effort to keep our Project 365 alive.

Waffle House awaits!

I'm bringing just enough radio equipment to do a show if we get the urge.

Otherwise, I'm out of here.

That's enough.

*****
Two last notes:

- The wonderfully eloquent Jack Whitaker died today. He was the last living TV voice from Super Bowl I, calling the game on CBS. In fact, he was the only living TV voice from the first 21 super Sundays.

He made his way over to ABC where he continued to be a voice of grace. He was at Normandy just after D-Day.

He was foolishly banned from The Masters for five years after uttering the words "mob scene."

He described the exploits of Secretariat.

He was 95.

- FIOS1 News is shutting down in November after being unable to reach a contract agreement with Verizon, and thus putting roughly 150 people at RNN out of work. I'm saddened to see local journalism suffer yet again, and even sadder to see friends and good journalists and good people behind the camera out of work. Respect and best wishes to all.

No comments: