Saturday, August 24, 2019

The Last Night

Those are two New York Yankees. Yes, really.

Ashland, VA -- From the desk of the Holiday Inn Express and Suites

I got into another kerfuffle about sports today. This time, the topic was the universally-despised Players Weekend uniforms.

Universal, save for one person. Of course. Hence, the kerfuffle.

The players -- you know, the people who actually have to wear them on the weekend named for them -- dislike these abominations -- don't like them either. The Cubs wore their regular hats, for instance.

The Dodgers asked if they could wear their regular uniforms against the Yankees this weekend. They were denied.

Can you imagine two of the best uniforms in baseball wearing embarrassingly awful black and white uniforms?

No need. It actually happened, and MLB commissioner Rob Manfred -- the many who is responsible for continuing to try to destroy the game -- signed off on the denial of the Dodgers' request.

Look, I also hold Joe Torre, Jim Leyland, and Tony La Russa responsible for this s--- show. They're behind the pitch clocks and other nonsense that is being tried out, at the behest of Manfred, who doesn't remotely care about the game of baseball.

And remember, Bud "What, me worry?" Selig is in the Hall of Fame for turning a blind eye to steroid abuse.

Umpires are acting ridiculous (as always). Home runs are flying at an absurd rate. The game is evolving.

But don't worry. Those blue and pink unis and these disasters are still around. Dollar signs win!

Incidentally, I'll hear "get off my lawn" as a retort, which is just fine. I'm used to it, but it's a lazy rejoinder, to be blunt.

*****
Andrew Luck? Retired? A few minutes ago, he was booed as he left the field in Indianapolis.

I've said numerous times that I don't like booing. I don't like it in this case, either. But I sort of get it. Fans are emotional. They feel like he "quit."

I wouldn't boo him, and I'd be angry at my fellow fans if they did so.

It's a shame, and there's a much deeper story that's going to come out of this eventually.

*****

I'm heading to bed. Then leaving here and making my way home. Reality (and a large cat) awaits.

No comments: