Saturday, March 10, 2012

I'm Back


Those were the two words that Michael Jordan famously sent out when he returned to the NBA in 1995. My announcement is hardly earth shattering, but I'm hoping that people will be happy about it anyway.

"The Press Box" is back! WGCH's owner Michael Metter gave his support to a return to sports talk on the station, and I will head up that effort. The guys who have supported our broadcasters for some time now will ride shotgun with me.

Just as we did in the "Box's" previous incarnations, I want the show to feature all sports, with a mostly local approach. To that end, I want to have guests from everywhere, and not just Greenwich. Oh we won't ignore national sports, and will certainly take note of things in New York City and Boston - and the wide world as well - but our first take will be in our area.

I'll also look for great guests of note. By that I mean broadcasters, authors, writers, reporters (I've already targeted Paul Silverfarb), bloggers...anyone! Any good story is worth telling. Any good guest is worth hearing from.

We haven't picked our first guest. Who will it be? Tune in and find out on Monday, March 19th at 7:00 PM. And I'll go out on a limb and say that, while we're going to start out as one-hour show, I'm quickly aiming to get to two.

To me, it's just the beginning of a new era for WGCH Sports. I'm hoping - seriously hoping - that we can get back to broadcasting more games, from high schools to legion ball, and beyond. I've got an enthusiastic team behind me that wants it, with tremendous talent to do big things.

Please don't hesitate to get in touch with me, Wingman (Chris Erway), Kato (Chris Kaelin), or Deemer (Ryan DeMaria) if you want to be on the show, or have an idea.  I can be reached here, on Facebook, or on Twitter (@double5).  I expect us to quickly put together a new Facebook page and Twitter account for the show, and hope you'll like and follow us over there also.

We've got work to do.

No comments: