Friday, August 19, 2011

The First ESPN New York Hall of Fame Class

The voters have spoken, and well, they're not entirely wrong. The first class for ESPN New York's Hall of Fame is:

Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Joe DiMaggio
Mickey Mantle
Jackie Robinson

I got four of the five right when I made my vote. I've spoken about Robinson - wonderful person, social significance, etc. I still would have taken Taylor first, but the voters like political correctness. I like athletics.

It is what it is.

And do we need any further proof that New York is A) a baseball town and B)a Yankees town? Nope.

By the way, in case you're wondering, here are the other first classes from the ESPN cities:

Boston: Larry Bird, Ted Williams, Bill Russell, Bobby Orr, Red Auerbach (I had 4 of 5 and thought Ray Borque was a better choice than Auerbach).

Chicago: Michael Jordan, Walter Payton, Ernie Banks, Dick Butkus, Mike Ditka (I had 4, but Ditka over Hull is OK I guess - shows they don't have as much interest in hockey).

Dallas: Nolan Ryan, Emmitt Smith, Tom Landry, Troy Aikman, Roger Staubach (I voted outside of the box here, and had only 2 right here. I mean...Ryan, Aikman, and Staubach? Really?)

Los Angeles: Magic Johnson, John Wooden, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Wayne Gretzky, Sandy Koufax (five for five). They still should have had Scully on the ballot, and he should have gone in.

No comments: