Saturday, May 01, 2010

(She's) Some Kind of Wonderful (With Video)

Another song that's been rattling around in my brain recently, along with "Out in the Street", "I Should Have Known Better", and even The Monkees' "I'm A Believer" (I watched Shrek earlier this week).  I've been putting together a playlist of all of these little nuggets for my iPod.

The song "Some Kind of Wonderful" or "(She's) Some Kind of Wonderful" was written by John Ellison and recorded by a band called Soul Brothers Six in 1967.  It hit the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at number 91.  Grand Funk Railroad made into a monster, peaking at number three in February, 1975.  Yet my favorite version is...SURPRISE!...the one by Huey Lewis and the News, from the album Four Chords and Several Years Ago, in 1994.  It went to number 44 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 7 on the Adult Contemporary chart (or "AC Hell" as I call it).

It's even better live, as evidenced by their performance on the VHS (remember those?) Four Chords and Several Years Ago - The Concert.  Of course, no footage of that show exists on YouTube, but I found this double performance of "(She's) Some Kind of Wonderful" and "It's Alright" from, of all places, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.  In fact, Leno even seems to be enjoying the music.  Your linky dink is here.

And yeah, feel free to roll with another Rule 55.  Most of you have it all figured out, and that's why you're in my "secret society", which comes with special WGCH decoder rings.  Or not.  We don't have the budget for it.

No comments: