Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Little Hooky Dookie for Ya

The Internet, in case you haven't heard, is a wonderful thing. Thanks to the magic of streaming audio, great radio stations and concepts can be heard once again. Several friends and outlets, including my friend Mick alerted me to the return of WNEW, the groundbreaking FM radio station whose slogan was "Where Rock Lives."

They're back, but they're only back online. Frankly I haven't listened to it yet, but it's like having an old friend back. Check them out here. They also seem to be running a blog on the homepage, and among the entries is their list of the "Top Fifty Guitar Riffs of All Time." Let's have a lookie at the Top 10, eh?

1. Back In Black - AC/DC
2. Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
3. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - Jimi Hendrix Experience
4. Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd
5. Oh Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
6. Barracuda - Heart
7. Immigrant Song - Led Zeppelin
8. Natural Born Stepson - Sonny Landreth
9. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
10. Cocaine - Eric Clapton
I like "Smoke on the Water" better than Back in Black as a riff, but that's just nit-picking. I'm sure many will be angry that the mightily overplayed "Satisfaction" isn't number one (I'm sure you can hear the wimpering of Caroline Corley from 107.1 The Peak). I like the boldness of choices like "Barracuda" (I think I was eight when I bought that album), but thought they dropped the ball by leaving "Sunshine of Your Love" (by Cream, in case you don't know) out of the top 10 (it's at number 11).

So what say you? Go through the rest of the list and I'm sure you'll find something that you higher or lower, on the list or off. For instance, where's "Born to Run" by Bruce? That riff just screams warm weather to me!

Oh, and if you don't get the title of this post, "a little hooky dookie" was one of many memorable things spoken by perhaps 'NEW's most famous DJ of 'em all - "Fats", "Scottso", "The Professor", the late Scott Muni.

No comments: