Monday, September 17, 2007

The FCIAC "Big 3"

Last year, I was a voter in Tim Parry's FCIAC Top Five. This year, I still have a vote, but Tim has renamed the poll "The Big Three." Since he still wants our top five teams (confused yet?), I will give you my top five here.

1) Greenwich (1-0) - They're the number two team in the state and the consensus number one in the FCIAC. That's where they'll stay following the 21-12 win over Central last Friday night. There was nothing pretty about it, as I have alluded to. The spread offense didn't click so the ground game chugged the way to victory. The defense was good but not over the top. They have some work to do but they're still the best.
2) Central (0-1) - What? They lost and they're second? That doesn't make any sense, and you might be correct. Yet what we saw on Friday was enough to convince me that we might see the rare rematch. Central's schedule is such that come November it could be Greenwich and the Hilltoppers for the FCIAC title. The special teams need some work and I couldn't figure out what they were doing in the second half versus the Cards. Oh, and where was Trevardo Williams on defense?
3) Staples (1-0) - A total toss-up. New Canaan has just as much right to be here, but I'll lean to the Wreckers. This is a pure gut feeling.
4) New Canaan (1-0) - See above. I can't vote for 3A and 3B, so I just picked and this is what I came up with. How the Rams play against Ridgefield will say a lot about next week.
5) Westhill (1-0) - Don't adjust your monitors. Though they only won by a point, the Vikings are this year's Trinity Catholic - a team with some high hopes. They knocked off Danbury (another team that I like).

Yes, this is a true week one poll. Hard to tell what's what, so there's a lot of conjecture here. Ridgefield and Wilton just missed the cut.

See you Thursday for Greenwich and Darien from Cardinal Stadium. Pregame show at 6:50 PM.

No comments: