Sunday, October 01, 2023

Today's Game

 

Opening graphic on the monitor in front of me

I planned on football today. 

I planned on watching the early morning game from London followed by whatever the networks gave us, along with watching the Red Zone channel and listening to the Steelers.

Instead, I was asked to call Archbishop Stepinac hosting Cardinal Hayes. Both teams were 3-1 coming into the contest.

I was initially asked to do Msgr. Farrell/Iona Prep game but it was just close to when Brunswick played yesterday for comfort.

But then I read about what my guy Tom Faggione did yesterday and got jealous. He did three games yesterday at three different sites. He did color commentary at Port Jervis and Monroe-Woodbury in New York before going to Delaware Valley just across the Delaware River in Pennsylvania. 

As someone who loves those quirks, I can only tip my headset.

But I went back to White Plains for the Stepinac game early this afternoon.

The way-talented Dave Berry was there to produce, direct, and run the camera. My job is to produce audio and talk. When I asked him why I wasn't going back to the roof to plug into LocalLive's remote camera, he said a "special broadcast" was requested.

What he means by that is graphics, instant replays, and more in-game things that wouldn't normally be available. Plus, an announcer. 

Me.

It was a gorgeous, warm day in White Plains, perfect for myriad spotted lanternflies, wasps, yellow jackets, and one stink bug to visit us.

It was also a day for sunscreen and staying hydrated. The wonderful Stepinac concession stand made sure we had water and the gentleman directing traffic took care of anything else that we needed.

Wait -- directing traffic? Why? What?

We were in the parking lot.

Our "press box"

We took every precaution to make sure we had a clean view of the field and we never had an issue.

The game was worthy of any special treatment as the teams went back and forth in a high-scoring first half. The second half featured fewer points and better defense before the Cardinals held on for a 33-28 victory.

In a game that I felt needed to look and sound good, I was hopeful we succeeded. I knew the audience was good and you just never know who is watching.

I felt proud of things when I drove away, sore from standing on the pavement but pleased with the day.

Our third game is tomorrow as Greenwich heads to Danbury in the make-up of the postponed game from Friday. Chris Erway and I will have the call on WGCH and Robcasting at 5:50 p.m. We'll also have an interview that will run on Tuesday during the NewsCenter with Tony Savino.

At least I think we will but I suspect there will be 30 or 40 more texts and emails but I've had a full 48 hours to calm down from the affairs of last week.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to continue watching the Chiefs/Jets game. There's apparently a pop song princess in the stadium tonight. 

I'm unfamiliar with her.

*****

Also, farewell to the Yankees, who limped to the finish line with a loss in Kansas City. Yankees baseball is part of my daily life for over six months and I'll feel some emptiness tomorrow with no game to think about.

The playoffs begin on Tuesday and I'll still watch but the Yankees won't be there.

Buck Showalter was treated poorly by the Mets. Full stop. But a new regime wants a new manager. That doesn't make it right.

Tim Wakefield died today. His condition was outed by pathetically awful Curt Schilling earlier in the week. It was clear Wake was in his final days and Schilling couldn't allow him privacy. Sad.

Wakefield was a wonderful man and pitcher with a dazzling knuckleball. But he was a better human being.

He handled allowing Aaron Boone's 2003 ALCS winning walk-off with grace. For him alone, you could feel a level of something positive when the Red Sox won the following year.

Grace. Something Curt Schilling lacks.

No comments: