Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Allow Me To Clear This Up


 

I attended the Greenwich High School Sports Hall of Fame a few weeks back.

A wonderful breakfast affair, I was asked to speak at the event, highlighting my relationship with Greenwich sports over my rather lengthy career.

After that, I inducted former Greenwich Cardinal John Sullivan into the Hall of Fame.

Later that night, I posted a picture of an appreciation certificate that the Hall of Fame gave me. Specifically, Hall of Fame chairman Pat Mediate presented me with it.

I posted the picture with a few other photos from the day and didn't think much about it.

Then the likes began. OK, cool.

Then the comments followed, with many congratulating me. I thought that was kind.

And then it hit me. It was time to clarify everything.

The certificate did not make me a Hall of Famer, nor would I want to misrepresent that. The Hall of Fame gave these certificates to people they wanted to thank, including me.

My certificate was in honor of my being a "featured" speaker, I suppose.

The Hall of Famers receive a different honor to mark their inclusion, as well as have their names added to plaques that hang at Cardinal Stadium.

In no way am I a Greenwich High School Sports Hall of Fame inductee.

I'm not a Hall of Famer in any way, shape, or form. I visit Halls of Fame but that's about it.

If anything, I'm hoping my attendance at the ceremony is the beginning of a regular thing and I'd enjoy being involved in understanding the inner workings of the Hall of Fame. 

So, to sum up, I was an attendee. I was a presenter.

I'm not in the Hall of Fame.

I'm grateful for the various comments I received in honor of the certificate and I hope I didn't misrepresent anything.

I treasure the certificate and it's currently sitting in my room. Sean thinks it should be framed.

But I don't want anyone to think I'm in the Hall of Fame. While it's a tremendous honor, it's not one I'm worthy of.

I was simply honored to be in attendance and asked to speak.


No comments: