Thursday, October 12, 2023

The Golden Domer and the Steeler

 

Joe Gilliam, some guy named Bradshaw, and Terry Hanratty

I'm often amazed at the people I've had the chance to interview and work with.

I've talked to stars who live ordinary yet amazing lives as well as celebrities who have also lived pretty amazing (and often ordinary) lives.

Naming names can often be unsavory and gets one accused of being a "name dropper." As an instructor of broadcasting (minus a high horse) I normally explain why I do name some names. It's done to make students understand that they can have these opportunities.

As a Pittsburgh Steelers fan who grew up not only watching the game but learning the history of the legendary franchise, I came to know the different personalities that made the "Stillers" an institution.

So when Dave Torromeo -- my great friend and fellow member of "The Clubhouse" radio show -- asked if I wanted to have breakfast with him and Terry Hanratty, I jumped.

Let's see: Hanratty, a two-time All-American at Notre Dame. Won a National Championship with the Fighting Irish in 1966. Drafted in the second round by the Steelers in 1969. Won two rings with Pittsburgh, including coming off the bench when Terry Bradshaw got injured in Super Bowl X against the Cowboys.

Also, his son Conor was a very talented lineman at New Canaan High School and I got to cover him on the air before he, too, went to Notre Dame.

So, yeah, I was thrilled to meet Terry Hanratty.

Hanratty (5) runs against Michigan State
in the "Game of the Century, Nov 19, 1966 (AP photo)

Terry remains heavily involved in the world of Notre Dame and the Steelers. He watches every Notre Dame football game and breaks down the activity of the Golden Domers.

So he became interested in starting a podcast.

Huh. I know a thing or two about podcasts.

Terry and Dave did a first edition earlier in the week that could be considered a practice run. The content was fantastic but Dave reached out and asked me to take a shot at recording one with Terry.

Technology does matter with podcasts. Sure, they can be done however one wishes regardless of quality and time but I think the better ones sound good. They're well-produced. They're polished.

As such, microphones and mixers and the right conditions are important.

On "Talent Talks" for Hunt Scanlon, I utilize Zoom and have recorded from my home, my kitchen (the day I moved in), and even my car. So long as I have the right equipment, it can all come together.


So, after some trial and error, Terry and I decided to meet at WGCH's offices today. Then, in one take, I got to be part of a podcast with a pretty remarkable person.

My role was that of the "glue" if you will. It's a role I'm very familiar with, where I keep it running and hold it together. Then I edit anything that needs polishing and add some theme music.

With (shockingly) minimal effort, I found some good music and had it completed minutes after Terry left.

It should be available on Spotify and elsewhere starting tomorrow.

A podcast can be such an open slate. We kept it pretty close to the expected topics but it can go a lot of ways with a lot of guests in the future. As for what we discussed, I hope you listen to find out. I will tell you that I let someone hear it and their review was "Really fun and engaging."

I love that. It's my exact goal. Make it relatable, understandable, and enjoyable.

And it's just the start.

For me, it's another iron in the fire.

It also reminds me that I get to do some pretty great stuff.

Keep an eye out for the podcast. Hopefully, there's much more to come!

No comments: