Sunday, October 08, 2023

The Latest Edition of "Make It Work" (or Am I a Jinx?)

 

Tight quarters that would get tighter

I tell myself I have zero impact on the game and, in my most rational moments, I know that to be the case.

I've never caused a turnover or a no-hitter to be broken up or a free throw to be missed. I'm just not that omnipotent.

However, I've always felt a certain level of guilt for each championship loss that the team that I covered endured. I watched Greenwich lose four state football titles from 2000 until 2004 before they won in 2006, for instance.

They've gone 4-1 in title games since then, so I realize my guilt is a little unfounded.

And yet, Brunswick football is now 1-3 after a 10-point loss last night.

Guess which game I didn't call? Yep, the one win.

The rain fell hard as I drove to Avon yesterday afternoon. Thinking it was homecoming at Avon Old Farms (it wasn't) I felt I should get there reasonably early to claim space.

That logic served me slightly well. Gus, the great videographer and stabilizing force, was in the AOF press box. 

"How'd you get in there?" I asked, thinking he received permission.

"The door was open," he said.

I laughed.

Initially, I still figured that I would wind up outside the booth, hoping that I had enough gear to keep the equipment (and my notes) dry.

Gus estimated who he felt could fit in the booth and gently encouraged me to stay.

"The Brunswick coaches haven't been coming into the booth," he said, meaning there would be 1-2 spaces available and I should be able to grab a spot.


After consulting with officials from Avon Old Farms (who were awesome*) it was determined we could have the space just inside the door.

* Normally there's a feeling of being glared at by school officials because we're strangers. Who are we and why are we in the booth? We're taking up precious space. In consecutive games (last Monday at Danbury and Saturday night at Avon) we were received warmly. It makes a huge difference.

I set up close to Gus and put my binder with the rosters in position. There was plenty of time.

Oh, did I mention that I drove out of the rain as I came through Waterbury? But I knew what that meant, even though it was dry as I got to Avon.

The rain was coming. You know. I brought it with me.

Within seconds of Gus and I stepping outside of the booth to fetch more equipment, we felt raindrops.

Then more.

By the time I got back into the booth, the deluge began and it didn't stop until late in the fourth quarter.

The thoughtfulness of the people in the booth at Avon Old Farms kept me dry (and warm) all night. We also had the good fortune of members of the AOF booth not coming in. They didn't have anyone to do play-by-play on their stream (WHAT?!) but that meant one less person.

However, remember the Brunswick coaches? Within minutes of kickoff, assistant coach Andy Riemer looked up to us and said, "Got any room?"

It works best when everyone gets along

Gus and I both laughed as Andy settled in between us. We were sardined but let me tell you, it worked.

I've called games next to coaches. They yell, curse, and they have a job to do that can impact the job I'm trying to do.

Their job, of course, is more important and I know that.

But Andy couldn't have been better and, for the record, we have a good relationship so I was never truly worried.

Working in that type of booth means there is plenty of other noise going on. The PA bleeds into my microphones, for instance.

But I adjusted as best as possible. I eliminated the crowd microphone, for instance, that picks up any natural sound.

But when Bryce Davis ran a kickoff back for a touchdown, Andy pounded the counter in excitement. You can hear that on the broadcast.

My view was sometimes difficult because I was tight into a corner so seeing the scoreboard and anything to my left was a challenge.

But it really did work. At least I think it did. We made it work.

Unfortunately, for Brunswick, things just didn't go their way. Avon Old Farms, with Georgia commit Ryan Puglisi at QB, made a few more plays in the fourth quarter.

Incidentally, credit to Sean Patrick Bowley of GameTime CT for enduring the rain and shooting content all night. He tweeted at me at one point to note how soaked he was and how he was listening to my call.

The night worked out.

The rain stopped.

Tired and stiff from standing in the booth, I elected to grab McNuggets in nearby Southington as a small meal.

Blech.

Otherwise, the drive home was dry and safe.

Brunswick is now 0-3 with me on the mic and it's likely I won't be with them on Saturday for their homecoming unless I can run from one game to the other.

We'll figure that out as the game week goes along.

A busy couple of weeks await.

No comments: