Thursday, October 05, 2023

The Man With One Golf Shoe

 

We were listed as "The Adams Family"
because of course, we were

So, yes, I played golf.

At this time, only my body has an issue, as I'm slightly sore from the myriad muscles that haven't been used like that in some time.

I suspect that will be worse tomorrow. Mostly, I think my arms and maybe my legs will hurt.

Oh, and perhaps my back, because that hurts tonight.

Did I play well? Allow me to spare you any suspense.

No. I was terrible. But, OK, I had my moments.

My first tee shot in eight years actually was hit straight as an arrow on the 13th hole at The Powelton Club.


Yes, things started quite fine.

Kris, Ron, Danny, and I arrived together and I saw so many of the Renegades colleagues and friends.

We got our swag (a phenomenal vest) and enjoyed a quick breakfast.

We went out to our carts and we were eventually off and running.

All was going well.

Then my golf shoe came apart. On our first hole. Roughly two or three shots into the round.


Now, if you're scoring at home, you realize that golf courses are laid out in such a way that, to rectify the situation, you have to get past the 18th hole. Or the sixth hole of our round.

So, yes, I basically played six holes of golf with 1.5 golf shoes on my feet. Oh, and the ground was quite wet.

I haven't thrown them out yet but let's just say these old golf shoes -- yes, they're old -- are done.

Yes, that really happened

Ron -- my cousin -- said he had an extra pair of shoes and they were even in my size.

Then we got back to the parking lot and Ron realized the shoes were in his truck.

Which was sitting in Kris's driveway.

All wasn't lost as I grabbed the shoes I drove up wearing and played on.

Later in the round, I had a brief moment of glory. If you're familiar with scramble-syle golf, you know you play the best shots in the round and score as a group. For one hole -- one blessed par-3 -- our team of three Adams and one Danny played my shot.

I bombed my tee shot onto the green and we two-putted for a par.

My PGA membership should be official any moment now.

PGA became Danny's nickname because that's what he started calling himself. Of course, we sort of had fun with that name also.

Fun. That's what today was. Our team wasn't the best and we weren't the worst (shockingly) but we were the slowest, coming back to the clubhouse by the time everyone else had finished playing.

We had exceptional weather, with the temperature in the mid-70s and a mostly sunny sky.

So, yeah, I'd say we had a pretty good day.


It lived up to exactly what I wanted it to be: a day of fun, laughter, and activity.

Oh, I'll pay for it with pain but it will be so worth it.

The Gades made some news as general manager Tyson Jeffers is moving on to a new team in Spartanburg, SC. The Down East Wood Ducks of the Carolina League are supposed to be moving to Spartanburg in time for the 2025 season when a new stadium is expected to open.

I got to know Tyson when he was the Vice President/Assistant General Manager under Steve Gliner in 2021. He was patient with me as he taught me how to put game stories on the Renegades website during my blissful season as broadcaster.

I wish him much success in his tenure with Spartanburg. I also wish nothing but the best to the Gades' new GM, Zach Betkowski, whom I've also gotten to know over the past few seasons. I'm excited to see what Zach brings to the team in 2024.

*****

Rest in peace, Dick Butkus, and thank you for the brand of football you played from 1965 until 1973. You were a favorite of my father, who spoke of watching you play whenever we discussed the game. You became an icon to me because of that connection and I forever included you in the conversation among the all-time greats.

You will always be the embodiment of Chicago Bears football, something that only a few others -- in fact, maybe only Walter Payton -- can ascend to.

No comments: