Friday, October 27, 2023

It's World Series Time

(Photo: NBC5 DFW -- https://www.nbcdfw.com/)

 

It happens every October.

OK, except 1994, and I'm still bitter about it.

But the World Series is on my TV.

I've watched it as long as I can remember. I distinctly remember the 1975 Fall Classic between the Reds and Red Sox.

I'm sure I saw some of the action before 1975 as well.

Of course, I remember 1976 because the Yankees were in it for the first time in my life. Then again, given the result, I'd rather not remember it.

Oh, 1977. Understanding what it means to win a World Series. The same went for 1978.

Then came 1979 and the "We Are Family" Pirates. Man, I loved that team.

And the Phillies of 1980.

Then 1981. Yeah, that's not a happy memory. It would take until 1996 before all was right in the world again.

Then 1998 and 1999 and 2000 and 2009.

But I've watched them. All of them.

I'm a baseball fan. That's the important thing. So the teams playing are of little consequence. At least until those teams matter.

I think, immediately, of 1986, when hell would have been a better option, despite how great Red Sox/Mets was. 

Incidentally, 1991 -- Twins/Braves -- was the best series I've seen. It featured five one-run games, three extra-inning games, and a nailbiting Game 7 that ended with a walk-off hit in the 10th inning. Plus, Vin Scully called it on radio.

Oh yeah, the voices. I've spent many nights listening to them. Curt Gowdy, Joe Garagiola, Tony Kubek, Al Michaels, Keith Jackson, Dick Enberg, Scully, Tim McCarver, Bob Costas, Joe Morgan, Bob Uecker, Jack Buck, Sean McDonough, and others immediately spring to mind. Joe Davis and John Smoltz will keep me company for the next four to seven games.

For the record, I like Davis and Smoltz.

Those are just the TV broadcasters. We're not even getting to the radio voices though I will highlight Dan Shulman, who is my choice to win the 2024 Ford Frick Award from the Hall of Fame. His calls are always so smooth and effortless.

I also have to highlight John Sterling and Michael Kay for the numerous Yankees calls I listened to and collected.

The sad thing is the 2023 World Series needs me.

And you.

And many others.

Because let's be honest, this series isn't exactly tickling the fancy of the public. The Texas Rangers and the Arizona Diamondbacks?

Yup.

There's no question I'm sorry the Yankees aren't in it because I miss that energy but that doesn't stop me from watching this series.

The game is bigger than any one team.

But the game is great. It's still great. 

So I'll keep watching the Fall Classic. Baseball needs advocates. Even an "older" guy like me.

So, play ball, Rangers and Diamondbacks.

Give us seven games.

Let's make this fall classic.

No comments: