Monday, October 16, 2023

Monday Night Baseball

 

Bryce Harper

I'm watching baseball before I settle down.

The Rangers have just taken a two-games-to-none lead on the Astros in the ALCS while the Phillies have just slammed two home runs to take a 2-0 lead in game one of their NLCS bout with the Diamondbacks.

I have to admit, at this point, I'm liking the idea of a World Series featuring the Rangers and Phillies. I don't know that any Yankees fan -- heck, any baseball fan -- can root for the Astros. I know, everyone needs to get over the cheating of 2017 but add that to what is a dynasty, and the team becomes easy to dislike. 

Heck, that's part of why people hate the Yankees.

So, yeah, I'm just sick of the Astros.

As for the Diamondbacks, I guess I've never gotten over 2001 when they beat the Yankees in the post-Sep-11 World Series. That series bothers me more now than it ever did at that time.

I will say that while I do enjoy not having a serious rooting interest, I do miss the tension of the Yankees in the postseason.

Oh, those long nights of exhilaration and heartbreak. Of frustration and anger.

But the days of Jeter and Jorge and Mo and Andy are in the past. Tino and Paulie and Bernie and Brosius and Coney and Wells and Mr. T are all retired. No game was over with those guys.

By the way, Jeter is quite good on TV. I'd enjoy seeing him do more of it because his low-key, sarcastic attitude combined with his knowledge is a good fit. He plays well off of A-Rod and Big Papi.

*****


OK, a complete changeup here. A Twitter/X account called The Beatles Earth created the above bracket.

Look, I'm a sucker for these things. I'm also astounded at some of the seeds but so it goes. Still, "Lady Madonna" as a 16th seed?

Crazy.

Anyway, I dabbled in the bracket to see what I'd get for my final four. My guess is that my opinion might change but, as of tonight, I'd go with "A Day in the Life," "Day Tripper," "Yesterday," and "A Hard Day's Night."

My problem is I go with my heart but then common sense also steps in. Thus, my heart wins on "Day Tripper."

Then my final two would be "A Day in the Life" and "Yesterday." 

"A Day in the Life" might be the greatest creation in music history, considering the combination of efforts of John Lennon and Paul McCartney. 

Of course, "Yesterday" is the most covered song in history. It's pure poetry.

But, while it's not my favorite song, "A Day in the Life" is getting the nod.

It's a fun exercise as I begin to rest my brain.

****

I read the script today. We're ready.

We'll talk to you tomorrow from San Francisco.

No comments: