Tuesday, October 03, 2023

King of the Roadcast

 

Jefferson Valley, NY 2001

I got to talk about something tonight that I don't get to talk about very often.

It's a topic that, without fail, generally draws the smallest audience to the blog.

It's roads.

My friend Dan Murphy wanted to have me on the Gribblenation Roadcast for a couple of different topics. I've been on a few times to talk sports but never about the actual main topic. 

Dan's idea was to talk about the roads, bridges, and other travel interests of the Hudson Valley.

We connected at the last minute tonight and recorded for well over an hour. We both seem to find it very easy to just talk to each other, as evidenced by our recent two-hour recording session for football back in late August.

Obviously, the Hudson Valley will always be important to me and I grew up on those roads.

I learned to drive on the back roads of the Town of Carmel, especially Mahopac.

But I also learned by traveling all over the region. I was the navigator for my mom and co-pilot for my dad.

The Taconic State Parkway, of course, will always probably be the closest to my heart, though I suppose the same could be said about Interstate 95. Except 95 doesn't really hit much of the Hudson Valley, touching the region in Westchester County. 

But the Taconic? The TSP? I knew (and know) each curve and ramp.

I grew up riding in the back seat on the Taconic and, eventually, learned to navigate its narrow lanes and tight turns.

I still remember convincing my mother to let me drive from Plattekill -- in Ulster County -- back down and across the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge, out Interstate 84, and then down the Taconic.

I was 16.

I was nervous but I took a deep breath and we were fine.

While I didn't tell Dan that story, I shared other tales that you can hear when the podcast is released. 

One thing I will tell is that, in a time in which being one's authentic self is so important, I can recall feeling sort of weird about my fascination with roads. I never felt ostracized or anything like that but I always felt like it was just a "me" thing.

Then I discovered one day that I was anything but alone and have made a large group of friends as a result.

Including Dan, who has hosted gatherings that I have attended in Philadelphia and Buffalo.

He's next hosting one in New Orleans and, at least as of now, flights are too expensive.

But I very much enjoyed talking about the many roads that meant so much to me and give me pure feelings of nostalgia when I drive them now.

We also hit on some of our favorite scenic drives. I realized at one point that I had taken the Hudson Valley for granted and didn't realize how beautiful it was.

I hope you listen when it comes out and you hear for yourself just how easy the conversation is.

Coming soon wherever you get your podcasts.

No comments: