Friday, October 20, 2023

Back in Connecticut

 

Inside the tight quarters at Trumbull High School

The laundry is done.

It's folded and put away.

I walked in just after 10 p.m. and, while talking to work, got unpacked. Then things went into the washing machine. I stayed up long enough to move everything into the dryer.

Then I took something to help me sleep and hoooooo boy did I sleep?!

Heck, I was awake around 6:30, knowing I had to do my Friday morning appearance on WGCH at 7:50 but I was still exhausted. So I set an alarm with the Amazon Echo right next to my bed.

"Alexa, set an alarm for 7:30," I said.

I figured I'd have 20 minutes to get the cobwebs rearranged in my skull.

I put my head back down.

Then I woke up and looked at my phone.

It was 7:51.

I snapped our of it, called into the station, and did the interview, completely groggy and not exactly with the most full of voice.

As has become a tradition, I once again did not feel my best while traveling. So with two football games ahead of me, keeping my voice going will be fun.

I think, frankly, it's stress that makes me sick each time. Though I don't feel stressed, I'm sure some neuron somewhere is out of whack over flying and getting from "A" to "B." Plus there's the fear of forgetting something. Plus the concern of doing a good job for my coworkers. And so on.

This time, I did forget something. No pajamas. Loads of fun when sharing a room with someone else.

I thought I might find a few minutes to get to a store and buy something but nah. Plus, stores were all closed by 8 p.m. 

So, yes, I'm back home safe, sound, and extremely hungry. I mean, basically, you pay airlines for the point A to B thing. There's not a lot else.

Oh, you can have the headphones if you'd like, along with a complimentary snack of exactly two small bags of SunChips that wouldn't feed a squirrel. Plus a beverage or two.

Plus Delta was a bit high maintenance about bags. I think checking bags -- especially when you have to pay for them -- is the work of the devil. So I do my best to live a carry-on life.

In the case of both flights, Delta staffers were politely harassing passengers about the size of carry-on luggage. They were pulling people aside and telling them they had to check things.

Of course, there are two sides to every story, as people are also, well, often entitled.

So, yes, back to being home and not having to fly for some time.

Upon telling Sean that I have football tonight and tomorrow, his reaction was not shocking.

"You're nuts," he said.

Yes. Yes, I am. But who -- I ask you, WHO -- could possibly do the Jersey Mike's Postgame Interview? 

And then play it more times than "Living on a Prayer?"

OK, I'm not guilty of the playing. I run the interview in its entirety on "Doubleheader."

Actually, the broadcast would go off just fine without me but, nonetheless, I'll be in Trumbull tonight for a 7:00 kickoff as Greenwich meets the Eagles. Jeff Alterman will be next to me in the booth.

Listen to the game on WGCH, TEN, and Robcasting, and watch it on Trumbull Community TV.

Then, tomorrow, if all goes well, I'm jumping on a Brunswick team bus and going to Andover, MA for the Bruins' game against Phillips Academy. Game time there is 3 p.m. on LocalLive and Robcasting.

You know me, I'd drive it if I could but I think zoning out on a bus might be best.

On Sunday, I'll rest. I'll also plan the next adventure, coming soon.

*****

I'm back from Trumbull and Greenwich did their thing, winning 42-0. To be honest, and no disrespect to anyone, but it was sort of wrapped up at halftime.

The multicast of WGCH, Robcasting, TEN, and TCTV mostly went fine. I didn't have the mixer with me I initially wanted to use and Trumbull's booth felt like it was the size of a postage stamp and I'm at my wit's end with the rain but it all worked out.

I'm getting on the bus early tomorrow at Brunswick to head to Andover.

Weather (and my voice) will be a concern.

Tune in to see if I survive.

No comments: