Saturday, October 07, 2023

Saturday Before The Drive

 

Today's destination. Note the small press box in the bleachers
Ryan Field, Avon (Photo: Instagram)

It's 1:20 p.m.

I've got the rosters (thanks to both coaches) because what's online is just unacceptable.

There should be a site for all of that but there isn't. Priorities and all, I suppose.

I have some notes.

I have an idea of how I will keep the equipment dry since we'll be battling rain all day and I can't use the pod in the bleachers.

So, basically, I'm ready to call a football game at 6 p.m. between Avon Old Farms and Brunswick. The Bruins need this one and the Winged Beavers always play them tough. Two years ago the Bruins had to rally late to get a 35-28 win on the road. Last year brought a 20-16 home triumph for the Bruins.

Tonight, in front of a raucous homecoming crowd, the Beavers will be hungry.

I will be in that raucous crowd just as I was two years ago.

But I'm in that point of a lull where I could start driving but then I'll likely be twiddling my thumbs there. Yes, I suppose I could just sit in my car and do more research. I could stake out where I'll set up with access to Gus and his camera to send the feed back to LocalLive.

That will all get sorted out. Believe me, I love being in an empty stadium/arena but there also can be a point where time sitting there is unproductive. I've seen it. I've felt it.

So, right now, I'm home, pondering food options and cranking out a post so that I don't have to do it later.

After the 35-28 Brunswick win two years ago, I elected to follow U.S. 202 from Avon all the way back to Croton Falls, NY. Let's just say that was the long way. With the rain falling, that won't be the case tonight. It will be the safest and fastest way to get home.

Even dressing on a day like this takes some thinking. No, I don't want to wear AOF's colors and upset the Brunswick faithful but most of what I own is blue, and that's one of the Beavers' colors. So long as I don't mix it with red or maroon I should be OK.

More to the point, tonight's appearance is about being warm and dry.

But, then again, they could outfit me in swag too. Honestly, I'd just like a jacket or pullover or something but so it goes.

As I'll likely miss most of Brunswick's homecoming next week, I won't get a chance to check out the Bear Fair, which always features a merchandise table.

We'll worry about that next week. As it's a rainy October Saturday, layers are crucial. It's supposed to dip down into the 50s tonight so I've ruled out shorts.

And, no, I'm not wearing jeans.

I have a hard-sided case ready to put the equipment in and I'm bringing my trusty snack table as a "desk."

It's the best I can do under the circumstances but, believe me, it's not ideal.

The best answer, of course, would be a booth to work in but I've been there before and there's never any room.

As I'm the visiting broadcaster, and Avon Old Farms has their own duo calling the game, it's the great outdoors for me.

Barring something shocking.

Remember, AOF wants its audience to watch its broadcast.

Sadly, there's no Cosby Field or Cardinal Stadium booth tonight. So I'll make the best of it.

Hopefully, we'll get a good game and I'll have a safe trip up and back.

I actually get a break for a few days before "The Clubhouse" returns on Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Mount Kisco. Then it's Brunswick soccer Friday night followed by Darien/Greenwich football next Saturday. Chris Kaelin -- yes, really -- is joining me for the call with Sean Adams -- yes, really -- in the studio. Plus it's Greenwich High School Sports Hall of Fame induction day and I have the honor of introducing former Minnesota Viking John Sullivan.

But, first, Avon Old Farms and Brunswick.

In the rain.

No comments: