Thursday, October 26, 2023

One More Time: Ladies and Gentlemen...

 

(Photo: The Beatles on Facebook)


I read the internet yesterday, oh boy.

The Beatles' social media feeds posted a picture of a cassette. From there, a link led to the lads' website, and the opportunity to sign up for emails from their account.

So, I bit and gave them my email. In return, I got a confirmation and a countdown to 9 a.m. today.

This morning produced exactly what I expected: the news of "the last Beatles song."

It's called "Now and Then" and it's been around for years. It started as one of John Lennon's unfinished songs that he recorded onto cassette in the 1970s. Initially, there were four songs that Yoko Ono gave to "The Threetles" (Paul, George, and Ringo) to do something with in time for the Anthology sessions of 1994: "Free as a Bird," "Real Love," "Grow Old With Me," and "Now and Then."

Both "Free as a Bird" and "Real Love" made the Anthology releases in the late 90s. Let's face it, despite whatever "overproduction" Jeff Lynne applied to it, fans were hungry for anything new from the Fab Four.

I don't love either of those songs but it was great to see and hear the remaining "Threetles" work together.

Then earlier this year, news broke of the last song being assembled. The problem with "Now and Then" was that it required more work than what technology in 1994 could handle. However, in 2023, with the blessing of Olivia Harrison and Sean Ono Lennon, Paul and Ringo went into the studio to work with Giles Martin to add instrumentation and some backing vocals.

Paul McCartney had made the mistake of attributing the new song to AI, which Giles Martin pointed out was ultimately not quite the case. These are The Beatles on the new song. They play and sing as a group.

Now, we wait for the single to hit.

This morning, at the appointed 9 a.m., social media and emails buzzed with a new link, leading users to find out how to pre-order "Now and Then."

To be fair, it's a money grab. If I accuse Taylor Swift of doing so then I have to be consistent. The Beatles could sell almost anything.

The classic greatest hits albums that were broken up into 1962-1966 (the Red Album) and 1967-1970 (the Blue Album) are being rereleased with songs added to them that weren't available in previous incarnations on record and CD.

Allen Klein -- the businessman who effectively helped to break the band up -- created the two two-record sets in 1973. To many, this was a huge introduction to The Beatles' music, even if the compilations were controversial. I remember my sister having the Red Album and, eventually, I got the CD versions in the 1990s.

Still, Klein must have had a dislike for George Harrison because many "Harrisongs" weren't included, such as "Taxman."

This new collection fixes that. Some songs have been cleaned up where they're supposed to sound better than ever.  That, of course, tempts me.

And, of course, on the Blue Album is, you guessed it, "Now and Then."

Personally, I always think compilation albums are a dicey lot. Sure, they're a great way to get many of an artist's hits and serve as an introduction to their music. But it's also just scraping the surface of their work and, often, they don't have everything. History is littered with examples.

Anyway, there are other avenues to get "Now and Then" when it is released next week. There are singles available on record and cassette, with "Love Me Do" included. Thus, the first and the last Beatles singles.

I'm happy to say I found a link on Apple Music to the single in digital form, and I jumped at ordering that.

So those songs will come together to my phone next week. 

Just not right now.

No, I can't help myself.

I feel like I have to own the new song, but I admit I go into this with trepidation. Oh, I know, it's The Beatles. But I also felt the same way when "Free as a Bird" came out.

Obviously, the legacy of the band is important and while they've made mistakes, one never wants to see it be a disaster.

I mean, have you ever seen the "Magical Mystery Tour" movie? I have. Once. I own the DVD. But once was probably enough.

For the next week (and beyond) "Apple Scruffs" (aka Beatles fans) like me will have time to debate the track list for the Red and Blue albums before we all break down the "new" song. Oh, we're also getting a 12-minute film to introduce the song, called Now and Then — The Last Beatles Song, as well as a music video, directed by Peter Jackson.

I'm guilty. Sign me up for all of it. If you're sick of The Beatles, you might want to look away.

It's even promising to be a bit of an emotional ride as it appears we're reaching the end of at least part of the journey. Look, any way that more money can be extracted will happen in the coming years. There will always be technology to enlighten the songs or some other item will emerge from a collection.

The Beatles will be a gift that keeps on giving forever. That's the truest power of music -- staying power. Nearly 60 years after the four moptops stepped off the plane at JFK, they continue to dazzle and reinvent themselves.

The music holds up.

The connection is still real. Think about just standing on Saville Row in London on a Saturday morning in Apr, 2022. The feeling that came over me, at the foot of the building that hosted "the rooftop concert" was profound. It was, perhaps, stronger than crossing the Abbey Road zebra stripes that adorned their 1969 album. 

That's the cultural connection that still rings.

Now, John, Paul, George, and Ringo are ready for another bow.

And in the end (if this is really the end) ...

Incidentally, the sonic creation called "Carnival of Light" has still not been released in any form. So there's that.

Regardless, we get "Now and Then" next week.

A splendid time is guaranteed for all.

*****

I have no words regarding Lewiston, ME. What happened was abhorrent and I'm as sick as anyone of the thoughts and prayers nonsense.

I hope Maine officials can find the person responsible. I hope the families can find the strength to deal with the intense sadness that is in the Pine Tree State.

I watched the news in horror.

Let's be better.

All you need is love.

No comments: