Sunday, October 22, 2023

Red Light Green Light

 

For the love of God, go!

As promised (not only written on the blog but to myself), I took it very easy today. Talking was minimal and I left the house once.

I went and got breakfast at the one deli I knew would be open and able to make me a ham, egg, and cheese sandwich.

With a hashbrown patty.

To get there (Firehouse Deli in Byram), one can go a few ways. Heading there, I went through Chickahominy to reach Byram. On the way back, I opted to jump on I-95 north for one exit.

Exit 3 -- Arch Street -- leads drivers to downtown Greenwich. The ramp ends right next to Roger Sherman Baldwin Park, where the Greenwich Town Party takes place.

The ramp splits at the bottom, with a traffic light controlling the movements. To the right, there is a stop line and a sign indicating "Stop Here on Red."

There is not, to be clear, a sign saying "No Turn on Red."

And yet I see cars just sit there, painfully, with no traffic coming from the left, forming a line, until that blasted light turns green.

It happened again as my ham, egg, cheese, and hashbrown patty breakfast sandwich sat in a brown paper bag in my car.

I'm openingly begging for a sign to be hung that says, quite clearly, "Right Turn on Red Permitted After Stop" or anything similar.

If it's testing my patience to the point that I've hit my horn -- yes, me! -- then you have an issue on your hands.

Honestly, in August, after hours of slogging from wherever I had been (Maryland? Virginia?), I'd had it. Sitting unnecessarily at a traffic light when we were clearly and legally make a right on red made me a bit impatient.

And thus I urge whoever gets to make this decision -- first selectman Fred Camillo, the Connecticut DOT, Gov Ned Lamont, President Biden, or Babe Ruth -- to do so.

Please. 

Pretty please. 

It's a small thing.

Otherwise, my day was one of rest. I let the equipment dry out from yesterday. I did laundry so that everything from yesterday could get cleaned up.

I also watched plenty of sports. I quite enjoyed the Steelers getting a win in Los Angeles against the Rams. I mean, it's like they decided to play some offense for a change.

As I write, I'm hoping the Rangers of Texas extend the ALCS to a seventh game tomorrow night.

There's no question I respect what the Houston Astros have done and, yeah, Jose Altuve is a special postseason player. But that doesn't mean one can't be sick of them. I mean, the rest of the world easily gets sick of the Yankees.

I'll continue to rest my voice until tomorrow. Of course, I can't miss out on "Doubleheader," featuring the postgame interview, can I?

The world will not hear of such a thing.

In fact, if my voice isn't up to it, maybe I'll just run the interview on a loop for the 46 minutes of airtime that I get. I'm sure the sponsor (Jersey Mike's) would be thrilled!

OK, enough snark. I'm going back to my campaign.

Turn right on red at Exit 3!

No comments: