Saturday, June 18, 2022

Saturday Night's Alright for Yard Goats


 

I ate Peruvian food today.

That might not be shocking for you but it was a bit jarring for me.

You see, I have a picky diet. Yet, most of the time I can find something. So, when I pulled up to The Rockin' Chicken in Hartford today, I realized I had time to study the menu.

Again, I'm picky, and I don't like to fuss over it. My diet -- while often a source of amusement -- in fact embarrasses me.

So I did what was most logical for me.

I got wings and white rice. Problem solved.

Probably not the most Peruvian meal even. In fact, it was probably the least Peruvian meal ever, but it worked.

Yes, those are frogs on a bridge. My mother would be horrified.
Willimantic, CT

From there I spent the day driving around the wilds of Connecticut with three friends for a few hours. It was a pseudo road meet, lunch, and eventually a baseball gathering.

I finally made it to Dunkin Donuts Park, home of the Hartford Yard Goats.


The Goats won. I ate brisket. The Dunkin (Donuts) coffee cup atop the scoreboard blew off steam.

Merriment was found despite a fairly consistent rain from the moment we walked into the stadium.

Parking was reasonable. Tickets were great, despite being standing room only. 

The team store was expensive and didn't have anything I wanted so I walked out empty-handed. That's a shame because I went in to buy something.

I went in actually considering a sweatshirt on a cold Saturday night with the temperature dipping into the 50s. Yet, I wasn't plunking down $80 (or whatever) for a hoodie. I just couldn't do it.

Honestly, I couldn't find much to complain about. I appreciated the history of Hartford as I walked around. I liked seeing a nod to Lou Gehrig who played there in 1922.

Of course, I found the press box and, for a moment, wished I was in there. Yet I didn't give it much thought beyond that.

I drove home in the rain. Then it was dry. Then it wasn't.

And all day I got reminders of how godawful Connecticut traffic is.

But I ate at a Peruvian restaurant. 

How was your day?



1 comment:

Steve A said...

a certain someone missed the coffee cup blowing steam, even though the hat he was wearing specifically showed the logo blowing steam.