Thursday, June 16, 2022

One Song?

 


Paul McCartney is turning 80 on Saturday.

He's also playing at Met Life Stadium in the close of his US tour as I write.

I don't think there's any need to explain who he is or what his achievements are.

I realize there are people who haven't heard of him but, let's be honest, how many people over 15?

I recall someone once trying to debate prolific songwriters with me and saying the only answer was Bob Dylan. Now, look, I like Dylan, but do you want to debate spitting out songs versus spitting out great songs? No. 

Hate on McCartney all you want. The facts are the facts.

He's also consistently put out incredible music for 60 years. Have there been mistakes (hello, "Ebony and Ivory")? You bet.

But there have been triumphs. Iconic songs. Too many to discuss.

Earlier today, I read a story from Stereogum in which 80 artists (including many I've never heard of) pick one McCartney song.

Sure, I suppose I could do it if I had to. Fortunately, I don't.

How do you break it down? Early Beatles, Mid Beatles ("Rubber Soul," "Revolver"), Psychadelic Beatles ("Sgt. Pepper," "Magical Mystery Tour"), Late Beatles, Solo 70s, Solo 80s, Latter years?

You could pick out great songs just along those lines that were specifically McCartney's work.

Paul (right) gets by with a little help from his friends

How do we do it? Let's throw a few songs out.

"Eleanor Rigby"

"Here, There, and Everywhere"

"Yesterday"

"Let It Be"

"Helter Skelter"

"For No One"

"I'll Follow the Sun"

"I'm Down"

"Penny Lane"

"Hey Jude"

"Blackbird"

"Get Back"

I mean, that's simply a sliver of the songs that were primarily his with The Beatles.


The solo work and his songs with Wings are fairly mesmerizing as well.

"Maybe I'm Amazed"

"My Brave Face"

"My Valentine"

"Band on the Run"

"Jet"

"Goodnight Tonight"

"With a Little Luck:

"Coming Up"

"No More Lonely Nights"

"Another Day"

"Live and Let Die"

and, yes, "Silly Love Song," which has an incredible bass line but is simply too happy for some.

And, for what it's worth (and at the risk of incurring wrath) I also like "Spies Like Us." Hate away.

We're not even hitting on things like "Junk" and "Temporary Secretary" -- a song that you'd never believe was the work of James Paul McCartney.

I didn't mention much of his 21st-century work, though "Deep Deep Feeling" from his "McCartney III" album is stellar.

Even today, as a fan for basically 50 years, I'm still finding new Macca gems. I might write a separate post about one that I don't think I'd ever heard until just recently.

So, pick one song?

Sure, if I absolutely have to, maybe (pun intended) I'd pick "Maybe I'm Amazed" simply because I'm always blown away by the complexity of what is being said there. Only John's "Jealous Guy" can compete with it. 

For me, this is everything and literally, every man can understand this:


Maybe I'm a man and maybe I'm a lonely man

Who's in the middle of something

That he doesn't really understand

Maybe I'm a man and maybe you're the only woman

Who could ever help me

Baby won't you help me understand


I live those words.

It's poetry.

Yet, how does one pick against "Yesterday" or the game-changing "Eleanor Rigby."

But Paul is easy to knock. Perhaps the easiest of the Fab Four (yes, really).

He writes songs that are supposedly "saccharine." He's not edgy like John or spiritual like George.

He's not Ringo. That says it all.

He's also the standard-bearer at this point. Paul has outlived John by 41 years and George by 20.

So, one song? I'm happy to not have to do so.

I could. But it would change.

This is the brilliance of his work.

It's just, dare I say, "amazing."

No comments: