Wednesday, June 01, 2022

Mid-week Stuff

 

The Rangers play into this post tonight

So let's address a few things tonight.

- A big thanks to the kind gentleman at the Greenwich Resource Recovery Center at Holly Hill. The place is like an outdoor mall of stops to drop off trash, recycling, leaves, and other forms of refuse. While the sign at the entrance made it clear it was for Greenwich only, he allowed me (and Sean) to come in and drop off two large tubs of books to be recycled or redistributed. There's also a Goodwill dropoff point and they received a couple of boxes of CDs that I donated. These items have been clogging up both my car and our living room so I'm glad to get rid of it. I didn't think my saying that we're new to Greenwich would have any effect but I was wrong. Thank you, sir.

- I made a quick stop at the Greenwich post office (and paid $1.35 for parking) before "Doubleheader" today. A few minutes later, I had filled out a change of address form that will remove "NY" from my mail, replaced with "CT."

- The Hunt Scanlon crew were kind enough to invite me (and Sean) to a BBQ at the home office today to salute Paul Silverfarb as he departs the company. It was a welcome break to hang out with my friends and enjoy some delicious food. I also got appropriately teased for writing about the apartment (based on last night's post).

- I also stopped by 360 Service Partners to see Dan (not in the office) and Craig (he was). We're figuring out a new desk/computer setup for me. I'm leaning towards a bracket that will hold the monitors I need to work versus the setup I currently have.

- So I have a little news that I suppose it's time to reveal: I've agreed to return to the Renegades as a public address announcer on a limited basis. While my heart will always be in the broadcast booth, I said yes for a few reasons. Most important was Sean, who I know misses having me there. Kris and Lori also play a role (there's a lot of my family hanging around the park). I also wouldn't agree to do it unless Rick Zolzer -- forever the "Voice" of the Renegades and Dutchess Stadium -- wanted me to. Many of the games will be on the weekend and some evenings but it won't keep me from daytime work. 

This is the short version of this announcement.

I'm not a flashy PA announcer. My style leans towards speaking clearly and enunciating. I'm curious how I'll develop.

You may have questions. I'm not sure I have answers but I'll try. My first game is next Tuesday. I'll process different kinds of nerves then.

- As for the play-by-play world, I've picked up four lacrosse games in New Jersey on Saturday (and turned two down today). Still, I'll just offer that I'm having some very serious questions about calling games. I'm not questioning my ability. It's questioning exactly who and what is getting jobs. I'm, in a word, demoralized. The Joey Zanaboni fascination has sickened many (he makes the game all about himself and doesn't exactly call the game). But it's a lot more than that.

Believe me, many would cheer if I call it a day.

On the other hand, this can easily be resolved.

That's all I have to say about that. For now.

- Let's go Rangers. That's it. That's the message.

- Lastly, I got a few messages supporting what we've done around these parts lately and I'm truly grateful for them. In some ways, I feel like I'm learning to live again after Mom died. I'm ready for my life now, which I have felt has been stalled for some time. With each day, I'll get more things done and organized. Hopefully, I'll even sleep better (that has not gone well so far).

Overall, things are good.

But they can be better.

No comments: