Tuesday, June 14, 2022

For Carter

 

Yes, I used this picture of Saturday from Pennsylvania in another post

I didn't know Carter.

I wish I had.

But, who is Carter?

As you might know, I called the Delaware Valley Sports League softball championships on Saturday in Pennsylvania.

To say "Pennsylvania" makes it sound like a long trip but it's really not. It's the first exit across the Delaware River after leaving New York on I-84.

I know I wrote that the games were a joy. The kids -- probably 99% of them -- filled out little questionnaires to give us some flavor and get to know them. Kevin Halpenny, an outstanding play-by-play guy in his own right from nearby Port Jervis, NY who covers Delaware Valley Sports, was in charge of reading the tidbits about each player.

In the second game -- the majors championship -- Kevin told us about Aubrey. Her shoutouts included her "Pop-Pop, listening in Tennessee" and her best friend Carter, in heaven."

I was flabbergasted. I mean, anyone would be. All I could do was say "Oh wow!"

Thankfully, Aubrey gave us no time to react any more than that. She immediately whacked a base hit to right field to drive in a run. 

I described. After all, it was radio

One run scored.

But then another run scored.

And, as youth games can be, Aubrey made her way to third. Sure, a tough official scorer would have rung up errors and no RBIs but, on this day, in this moment, she was standing on third base, unaware that literally seconds earlier we told the world about Pop Pop in Tennessee and, most importantly, Carter.

Her friend in heaven.

From the broadcast perspective, it was just a reaction. I didn't want to overplay it. I didn't want to be insensitive or trite. I kept it simple.

I also put it in the rear view mirror. I didn't think too much about it, other than it being a moment of sweet serendipity.

The next day, Kevin reached out to me and described it as a top 10 moment in sports broadcasting history at Neversink Media (the radio station that broadcast the games). 

He had listened back to the broadcast and was really blown away. His wife agreed.

Humbling words, for sure, but it was really about Aubrey and Carter and even Pop Pop.

In the chaos of a broadcast, especially in a situation like this where there are sheets of paper in kids' handwriting with myriad facts, it can be easy to lose the moment in the shuffle. But, for me, it's so important for each kid to be a star. 

And, so that brings me back to Carter.

There's likely no way to know more about Carter but he couldn't be much older than, what, 12? Aubrey remembering him was the star of the moment, followed by her immediate two-run hit.

What was there for me to add? Only to acknowledge the late Carter, no doubt tuned in on a heavenly computer.

With an ice cream cone in his hand, I hope.

He should have been there to cheer on his best friend.

Yet, somehow, through Aubrey acknowledging him, he was there.

Hats off to you, Aubrey.

And to you, Carter.

I'm glad Kevin and I got to tell just the smallest sliver of your story. For there is obviously so much more to tell.



Check this out on Chirbit

No comments: