Tuesday, June 07, 2022

Good Evening, Ladies and Gentlemen...

 

After the last broadcast of 2021

I'm writing early today as I have to work later on.

Do I have a game broadcast? Nope.

Working for Hunt Scanlon? Nah.

A deposition for 360 Service Partners? Negative.

Teaching at CSB? Nyet.

I'm handling some of the public address announcing duties for the Hudson Valley Renegades tonight.

(If you didn't know this news I will allow you a moment to pull your jaw up off the ground)

I was offered this a few weeks ago. After giving it a lot of thought, talking with several important people, and considering my own feelings, I elected to give it a go.

I explained my rationale to each naysayer and, in the end, almost everyone agreed with my thinking.

So I'm going back tonight. As usual, I'm nervous. As usual, I'm afraid of the unknown. I received a script last night and I reviewed it. I suppose my greatest concern is pronunciations but, beyond that, I figure it will all work out.

Now, what you need to know is that while this might seem like it's outside the box for me, it's really not. I've done PA announcing before and, while I haven't done that many games, I've done enough that I have a feel for it.

I've done senior day introductions and full game announcements. I've done high school games and college games and other events.

This isn't to take away from the professionals who do this, though I suppose I have at least enough experience (and I've also been paid) to be considered a pro in my own right.

Now, let's be clear. I'm not a hype man. I'm not a wacky PA guy. I'm not the old voice of the Chicago Bulls (Ray Clay). I'm not Bob Sheppard either but I lean more towards the clear, enunciating style of the late Mr. Sheppard.

I'm me.

But, as with everything, I'm going to do my best and see what happens.

I'll leave the funny stuff to Rick Zolzer though, if there's an avenue for me to add my personality, I will. I just need to feel the whole thing out and see how it goes.

I'm nowhere near as nervous as I was a year ago when I began calling the 2021 season for the Gades. If it wasn't for Sean, who was starting his first night as a cameraman, I would have been a wreck. Sean's own anxiety that he admitted to me (bold for him) made me focus more on him.

And, as I wrote the other day, this isn't going to keep me from doing anything else. I'm not doing that many games as the team elected to split things between me and another announcer. 

One thing that I think needs to be cleared up if I haven't done so is the following: I'm currently a freelancer. I'm looking for a home. Had the Renegades hired me last year, that would have been my job. My home. Sure, I had hoped to do other stuff, especially in the offseason but the Gades would have been my priority. I had a whole game plan in my mind for balancing everything and had even begun to look at apartments up near Dutchess Stadium.

I had it all set.

So that goes for anyone else interested in having me as part of their work family. I want a home base. Part of the reason I work so much isn't to do with money (though it helps). It's often to keep me active.

To keep my mind active.

To use skills that I'm pretty good at. (I'd like to think I'm a fairly good broadcaster along with a few other things that I do.)

And to avoid being alone.

So there you go.

That's off my chest and hopefully clears things up.

Anyway, my voice will ring out around Dutchess Stadium tonight.

Fingers crossed.

*****

Happy 75th birthday to the late, great Thurman Munson. Grown men (hi) will still have watery eyes when remembering the captain, who died in a plane crash in 1979. He was 32. I was 10. 

But it's best to remember the gruff, clutch catcher who was the very heart and soul of the Yankees teams. A guy that (selfishly) I'd like to see make the Hall of Fame.

A guy who played with a monstrous chip on his shoulder.

Our leader in the 70s. Yes, he led a fanbase with his play.

A winner.

He and, sadly, too many others now, are so dearly missed.

No comments: