Tuesday, June 21, 2022

And the Countdown Continues

 


I was rigging up some audio tonight and needed something to play to test things out.

Most of the time I reach for "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" because that song (and the rest of the album) has the sound that I want when performing a test. I can quickly tell if things are off during that song, especially on Paul McCartney's lead vocal. 

In fact, I know it in the opening guitar salvo.

But tonight I just wanted sound and, specifically, I wanted it from the TV in my bedroom so I turned it on and went to SiriusXM.

The first thing to come on was Prince's "Let's Go Crazy" which made me appropriately crazy.

"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to get through this thing called life."

Quick side note: while grocery shopping today at Wegmans, I heard both UB40 and Bon Jovi in separate departments but both at the same time. Not wanting my son to witness my demise I avoided all sharp objects but, friends, hell is real.

I digress.

I changed the channel and went to 80s on 8 where the Top 40 Countdown from this week in 1981 had moved into the seven biggest songs in the nation.

Air Supply was telling us about "The One That You Love." I've had a bit of an awakening on Air Supply in recent years, recognizing that I was the wrong kid for them in 1981. So I left it on.

Honestly, what teenage boy was rocking with Air Supply at that time? But I've since discovered there's a Beatles influence and I've softened on them.

Again, I digress, but these were the things in my pea brain as the songs -- and memories -- rolled by.

"Being with You" sounded so smooth at number six because "Dad, it's Smokey!"

Then along came George Harrison with "All Those Years Ago" at number five. It was safe to say that we were in another spurt of Beatlemania (though we've never left) in the months after John Lennon's death. George hit us hard with "All Those Years Ago," a tribute to the fallen Walrus. The backing band for George was pretty solid too as Al Kooper, Herbie Flowers, and Ray Cooper -- pros, all -- were joined by Denny Laine and Linda McCartney.

Oh yeah, to top it all, Ringo Starr played drums and Mr. Paul McCartney sang backing vocals. A Beatles reunion -- or as close as we could get in 1981 -- gave the tune the extra push.

By the end of 1982, Harrison, Elton John, and finally, McCartney, each paid musical tribute to John Lennon.

The countdown continued -- hosted by former original MTV VJs Nina Blackwood, Mark Goodman, and Alan Hunter -- with Ray Parker, Jr and Raydio. Their song, "A Woman Needs Love (Just Like You Do)" played while I went up into the attic to gather cables for my project.

Besides, I hear Ray Parker, Jr and I think of how he ripped off Huey Lewis to write "Ghostbusters."

Next.

Number three was a mostly forgotten song called "Sukiyaki" by A Taste of Honey, better known for their big disco hit, "Boogie Oogie Oogie." A Japanese artist, Kyu Sakamoto, originally recorded "Sukiyaki" in 1961 and it was a number one hit in the States in 1963.

Hmm...1963. Just before Beatlemania...

Number two was number one the week before and it would be number one again the following week. But, this week it's one spot off the top. Gosh, I sound like Casey Kasem, don't I? Ponderous, man. 

If you knew anything about music in 1981, you might (even probably) already know the song.

(Narrator: Rob knew what song it was)

"She'll tease you, she'll unease you. All the better just to please you..."

Kim Carnes and "Bette Davis Eyes."

"Just to please you..."

All of this brought back such wonderful memories of being glued to my radio as I listened to any of the myriad countdown shows. Kasem, of course, ruled the world, but there were many others on a national and local level.

For those of us on a budget, we lined up our cassette players to hopefully record our favorite songs. My finger would hover over the pause button waiting for that next anticipated hit for my own mix tape.

The next song, in this case, was the work of The Beatles. Except, this number one song for the week of June 20, 1981, wasn't by The Beatles. It was one long cover medley.

(Narrator: Rob knew what it was)

The "group" was called Stars on 45. Like everything else, there's a longer backstory but let's just leave it at them featuring Dutch musicians faithfully (or, trying to be faithful) making cover songs.

In this case, a lot of Beatles songs, a couple of other tunes, and a song called -- what else? -- "Stars on 45" to bring it all to a conclusion.

Officially, the track was called "Medley: Intro, Venus, Sugar, Sugar, No Reply, I'll Be Back, Drive My Car, Do You Want to Know a Secret, We Can Work It Out, I Should Have Known Better, Nowhere Man, You're Going to Lose That Girl, Stars on 45." The reason behind the title was for licensing purposes. Every song had to be listed. It's also still the longest song title in the history of the Billboard chart.

For 12-year-old me, I was mesmerized. You see, sure, I was a certified Beatles nut still mourning John Lennon's murder but I didn't know even a slight percentage of what I know now. This medley was, in some ways, the first time I became aware of great songs like "No Reply" and "I'll Be Back." As The Beatles' catalog goes those songs weren't on the radio-friendly side of things.

I wasn't hearing them on WABC or WNBC in 1981. I certainly wasn't hearing them on FM either.

Still, it was fairly appalling to hear these great songs all combined with a singular beat but it worked for the summer of 1981.

It was a number one hit but would also be the biggest hit of the Stars of 45 machine, which tried several attempts to keep that magic brewing through 1987. They'd trotted out medleys by the Rolling Stones and Stevie Wonder and even Frank Sinatra as well as others before the novelty final ran out.

Oh, and the audio test was fairly successful. I'm still not sure I'm happy with the quality of what I rigged up but I'm pleased that everything worked.

That was sort of the point.

Music is making a bit of a comeback on AM radio. I think WGCH should let me do a music show. OK, yes, a Beatles show, but an overall music show would be fun!

Anyway, enough babbling for tonight.

May you have a pleasant evening with the one that you love because we can work it out.

Remember, twist and shout.

I need a break.

No comments: