Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Quick Post, Long Day

 

Empty classroom at the end of the day

I just got home from teaching two classes.

I walked in just after 9 a.m.

I left just after 10 p.m.

The first class ran from 9:30-1:00 and the second from 6:30-10:00. In between, I went and got lunch before coming back to the school to host "Doubleheader."

Even my throat -- and my voice -- feels a little tender because every part of me is tired.

If you know basically anything about teaching then you know the drill.

You explain. Then explain again. Then explain it once more.

No matter how many times you tell the class to save the reports that they've written there is inevitably someone who just won't.

The morning group was goofy. Laughing. Enough that I had to reel them in a few times.

The night class was more chill but that just led to more explaining.

There's plenty of talent to go around and the goal is to harness that. To make them understand that there is some tweaking to be done.

For the students who really want to work in sports, there's much nitpicking to be done but, at the end of the day, I'm still their cheerleader.

Just don't take my job.

Admittedly, by 8:30 I could feel whatever patience I had left fading.

I had a bed I wanted to get home to.

I'm glad to be here.

Fortunately, overall, people like my class. I try to exude passion while being honest and help them understand they can make it in this crazy business.

Like anything else, today was a challenge. It also had challenges within the day itself.

But, as always, I feel accomplished now that it's over.

A job well done, I suppose.

Time to get some sleep.

No comments: