Friday, December 22, 2023

Last Minute? No Problem

 


It was a day for running around when my phone buzzed.

Immediately, my guilty conscience kicked in.

What did I do wrong?

Nothing, it turns out.

Kevin Devaney Jr and LocalLive needed a broadcaster today at Iona Prep for a basketball game. The Gaels were hosting the Cardinal Hayes Cardinals in an intriguing Catholic School league matchup.

I figured they were in a bind asking for someone just a few hours before tipoff and I was in a spot that I could probably help.

But, there I was, out and about, with things to do and no time to prep for anything. I wasn't even sure I could put together a scoresheet with rosters in time.

The game was at 4 p.m. and it was around 11:30 a.m. when I got the text.

I didn't hesitate. I said yes.

I went on with my day.

Thanks to Kevin, I had a link to the rosters and, wisely, I had my computer with me. So, while I ate lunch, I jumped online and assembled a scorecard.

The last thing was to stop back at the apartment and print it.

I made a cup of coffee and jumped right back in the car.

I walked into Iona Prep -- a school I had never worked at before -- around 2:45. The junior varsity game was going on.

I was able to find the spot in the bleachers where the broadcaster set up is and figured out where I had to plug in my audio.

So, if you're keeping score, I was able to prepare for a complete game broadcast -- in a place I've never worked before -- in a span of a little over three hours.

Not the recommended 20 or whatever some say is necessary.

Charts? Graphs? Colored pens? Extemporaneous notes? 

I didn't have time or space for any of the above.

Panic wasn't necessary. What was necessary was to trust what has always worked for me. I had the necessary equipment and, once I got the rosters into my scoresheet format, I knew it would be OK.

But I didn't just want OK. I wanted people to like the presentation.

I wanted a new audience to say that like the new guy to come back.

And, as I've always believed, I want to be seen as a go-to. Thus, how could I say no unless I had something else going on?

As always, I knew -- so long as I had access to my computer and the internet -- I could make it all work.

I set up among the fans in the small gym but no one paid me any mind.

I had the advantage of the public address announcer nearby and, without him knowing, I was able to pick up little things as the game went along.

A good PA announcer can be a huge advantage to a play-by-play announcer. I try to make that a two-way street.

The game was good. Initially, that was about it. Cardinal Hayes opened up a double-digit lead until late in the third quarter. As for the fourth began, the Cardinals had a nine-point lead.

A comeback by the Gaels would create a great atmosphere and, as a result, an even better broadcast for me to call.

That's what happened. In the end, the shots that fell for Cardinal Hayes early on stopped and the Gaels answered.

Final score: Iona Prep 71, Cardinal Hayes 63.

I was packing up when the Iona Prep AD stopped by to see how things went. He told me they had the game on outside of the gym and they were watching. The reviews were favorable.

I'll work in a comfortable, pleasant atmosphere like that every time.

There are those in this business who wouldn't say yes to this job today. They want hours to prepare. That's a philosophy I don't understand but the good news is their "no" opens the door for my "yes."

I mean, why not accept the challenge? I loved it. The idea of whipping things together on the fly and heading to a different place was appealing. There's always a slight fear of the unknown but those who embrace it will figure it out.

The reward isn't in getting praise. It's in feeling the pride of a good job. No, it wasn't perfect, but I was somewhat satisfied.

As I went to leave I told the AD I hoped to return.

He said I was welcome back anytime.

This is what keeps me going. Any game, any site, any opportunity.

There are at least four more stories to tell before 2023 comes to an end.

No comments: