Saturday, December 02, 2023

It's Not Always About the Money

 


In the sports broadcasting world -- heck, in the world -- one of the most exhausting topics is money.

I called a hockey game today for a group I've never worked for today. I was brought in by a New Jersey-based company that I connected with on Facebook. I couldn't call the first games they had in mind but we said we'd keep in touch.

They reached out earlier in the week and I thought it might be fun to do. I agreed to do today's game in Bridgewater, NJ between the Rockets Hockey Club and the Elmira Impact. It was a premier-level game with players trying to make their name in college hockey.

I was told up front that the money wasn't great. To be honest, no, it was not. It was below what I normally get.

At that point, it became up to me. Did I want to make the 90-minute drive into New Jersey? 

I decided to have fun with it and go.

Many in the business would be horrified. "Know your worth!" they would scowl.

Mass disdain would be the order of the day.

But they do not get the final say. I do.

Sean went with me because, as I wrote earlier in the week, he wanted Wawa and I did not disappoint him.

So we hit the road, grabbed our Wawa lunch, and were in Bridgewater long before we needed to be. Classic me. I wanted to see the rink and get a sense of the setup. 

Oh, I should also mention (for those obsessed with preparation) that I was armed with over 30 pages of notes, especially since the league prepares a media kit with stats and rosters.

The only concern was where we set up. I knew this would be similar to the Connecticut Roughriders in that it would be carried on FloHockey so I suspected technology would be the same. But what about the booth?

I was told I didn't need any equipment, but the car was still packed. I'm always prepared.

With the Roughriders, my "booth" is the penalty box and scorers booth area.

Upon arrival in Bridgewater, Sean and I walked in and went up to the grandstand. There, I saw a computer and a camera overhead. I knew we were in the right place. It wasn't at ice level.

We cooled our heels back in the car for a bit, allowing me time to look over notes, before walking back in to meet Dave, the man who hired me

As we approached him, I noticed he had set up a mixer and headset on the top of a garbage can.

I smiled. You make the best of all circumstances.

Sean went back to the car to get the folding snack table that I carry. Have I mentioned I'm prepared?

Completely set up, I knew I had a great view of the ice and we were almost ready. Except, there was a roster snafu.

The Elmira roster -- at least what we thought was entered on the scoresheet -- was different from what I had.

I began to scramble. Would I have to work off my phone? Off a website on my computer?

This went against my beliefs. I could find no indication that Elmira had added new players but I steadied myself and took a deep breath as the game prepared to start. I listed to the public address announcer introduce the names of Elmira's starters and they were ... the names I had on the original roster.

I exhaled, laughed, considered the circumstances, and settled in. Everything was fine.

It took me the first period to get my rhythm back but I don't think anyone noticed. I set up my notes the way I liked them in the first intermission and carried on.

It was 1-0 after one period with the Rockets on top. It stayed that way through two periods.

Elmira scored in the third to tie the score. Overtime was coming up.

With 55 seconds left in the extra session, the Rockets converted to win the game 2-1. On the air, I said something about "the Rockets red glare." Cheesy, yes, but effective I suppose.

Game over. I packed my stuff, left Dave's stuff there per his instruction, and left.

We had Wawa for dinner and came home.

So, yeah, factoring in gas, tolls, lunch, and dinner, I probably broke even or made a couple of bucks.

I do plenty of games and jobs that make me money.

This was about creating a new contact and a new opportunity. I have no idea where it will lead me but Dave watched the broadcast and was pleased. He said he'll reach out with more games.

This was also about Sean and I having some fun as we ate the food we liked and laughed and shared the experience.

This was sort of about life being too short.

Not everything has to make one rich or pay the bills. Don't get me wrong, I love doing that also.

There's also something to be said for spreading my name and my, gulp, brand.

You simply never know with this business.

Today's broadcast might have made someone happy. Perhaps the audience enjoyed it.

It made me happy. That also counts.

I know my worth. More importantly, I know my worth mentally.

Sometimes, things are priceless.

No comments: