Monday, December 11, 2023

A Very Bad Night

 

This troublemaker did not help things

The topic of sleep, or lack thereof, is frequently discussed on these hallowed pages.

Wait. Did I just call this place "hallowed?" Clearly, I'm not feeling well.

And that's exactly the point. Sean wasn't feeling well last week and, well, it happens. It's my turn.

I'm fine in that I functioned today. I left the apartment and got some much-needed fresh air.

After going for a good walk to do some shopping yesterday, I came home to watch football and I disintegrated into whatever this is.

By the way, our Target in Port Chester has started this thing where certain items are now inside locked cabinets. Do you need underwear? Ask for help. Razors and shaving cream? Same. Socks? Yup.

That was enough to make me just walk out. That, and hearing Mariah Carey caterwauling on the PA system. There are other Targets around the area.

Look, I don't dislike all Christmas music. I definitely do not. But I like what I like. It's that simple.

So, Target aside, I strolled into the new Burlington store in the same shopping center. I didn't have high hopes...until I walked out with a brand-new Van Huesen suit jacket for $19.99.

Nope. I couldn't pass that one up.

While standing in line at Burlington, I got to listen to what I called "The Philosophy of Peanuts" in which the two scholars behind me broke down Charlie Brown and how he was bullied. And, also, "how we don't talk about that enough."

Eventually, the conversation turned to who was who in that Peanuts gang.

Riveting stuff.

With jacket in hand, I went back to my car before walking around DSW for shoes (I didn't really know what I was looking for) and Kohl's (same).

By the time I got home, Sean had returned from spending a night at his mother's after attending the Army-Navy Game on Saturday.

He enjoyed the experience, just as I figured he would.

We grabbed lunch and settled down to watch the last of the new Doctor Who episodes with the dynamite team of David Tennant and Catherine Tate. They are among the very best Doctor/companion combos ever and Sean seemed to think they finished their brief run on a good note.

That's what I want to hear. Sean was really disappointed in the writing of the recent episodes so I'm glad to hear him reclaiming his "Whovian" status.

Then I put on the NFL and Sean retreated to his room.

And my head filled up. I took the proper medication and did everything I could to survive but by 9:30 last night, I felt like I was ready to sleep.

I took another dose of the meds and even popped a sleep aid.

Beddy bye time, right?

Wrong. So, so, so, so wrong.

I got, basically, zero sleep.

I tossed and turned.

I tried the couch. Nope. I tossed and turned there also.

I kept waiting for the sleep aid to kick in and it never did. Was it a dud? Who knows?

Oh, and Mr. Rascal Squeaky Beast Cat did not help things at all. He decided that it was time for him to jump on my desk, scratch at my cabinet, chase phantom shadows, and whatever else occupied his mind.

So I tried to combat that with my AirPods. It just wasn't my night.

But, as I said, I was out in the world today, driving to and fro and recognizing my limits. Despite my brain being perhaps a bit weak, I still did "Doubleheader" and I don't think I said anything I shouldn't have said.

Refreshing.

I'm writing to you from the top of my bed. I'll settle down to watch football or whatever else I feel like or read my Paul McCartney book.

But sleep is the goal. 

With that, we turn to tomorrow.

No comments: