Sunday, May 21, 2023

Thanks, Wick (the '23 edition)

 

The Big Red of Lawrenceville celebrate on Cosby Field

The scriptwriters work things out their own way.

Brunswick had a three-goal lead today in the championship of the Prep Nationals against Lawrenceville. 

Twice.

But the Lawrenceville Big Red -- one of three previous losses in lacrosse for the Bruins -- tied it up each time.

It went to overtime. No goal.

It went to double overtime.

Goal.

Mason Vance will be remembered forever.

Lawrenceville 14, Brunswick 13.

Game over. Season over.

Brunswick year over.


I haven't counted the number of games I did for the Bruins. Whatever the total, it wasn't enough and it never will be.

Even if they said to do all the home and away games I'd still lament the conflicts that I couldn't get to so why worry about it?

They know how I feel. They know I want it all.

As I was really the "national" broadcaster for today's Prep Nationals Championship I couldn't be concerned with which team I covered. Sure, advantage Brunswick because I know them so well but the energy and emotion had to be fair. I can't do it any other way. 

If that means I upset people because I responded with excitement when Lawrenceville won then I can't really do anything about that.

I called the game with the great Dan Arestia and that's exactly what he was: great. He's a credit to the lacrosse world.

I didn't get a proper chance to thank the Brunswick family at the end of the broadcast because, honestly, I didn't think it would be appropriate, so allow this post to serve as a statement of gratitude to everyone at the school.

There was one harsh criticism all year. In fact, that's basically the only one we have received in now seven years of consistent coverage for the Bruins. It was back around this time in 2016 when Paul Silverfarb told me that Brunswick wanted "a professional" for their game broadcasts.

Huh. Imagine that. So, enter me.

Sadly, my Greenwich High broadcasts had whittled down to football and a few random other games. So I took on the opportunity with the Bruins. It's gotten me to call bowl games and New England hockey championships and FAA baseball championships and FAA basketball championships and even a water polo (!) championship.

And it takes people who believe in me to keep that going. 

That starts with the loyalty of Wayne MacGillicuddy who is my immediate contact at the school. Taking over for Joe Early (who first brought me in and is still a friend), Wayne and I immediately hit it off. We're now friends and he's extremely loyal to me.

Take my word for it. I have proof of that loyalty. Notice there was only one lead broadcaster on Wick games this year.

Tom Philip, the Head of Brunswick School, has also had my back. We've never even exchanged a word but he has been in my corner. That extends to school-wide Director of Athletics Cedric Jones as well.

From there, Ron Van Belle, now an Associate Director of Athletics but once the AD and head hockey coach, has backed me for years. 

So have each of the head coaches that I cover consistently: MacGillicuddy (football), Mike Kennedy (ice hockey), Steve Juricek (basketball), David Bruce (lacrosse), and Johnny Montanez (baseball), who frequently texts me that he's watching.

That support is incredible. Also, the results are pretty great and, in this past school year, produced championships in football, basketball, and baseball. It also produced strong postseasons in lacrosse and ice hockey.

I'll somehow neglect a name in all of this but you should also know people like Marc Strileckis, Will Perkins, Mike Harris (who is a huge cheerleader for me -- check please!), Oscar Miranda, and the many other names that I should know. Often, I just know the faces as I'm making my way around the campus from the blazing hot of late summer to the bitter cold of winter to the warmth of spring.

Thank yous also go to the families and, of course, the players. In fact, the players are the stars.

Every year, I strive to get better. I strive to learn more about the athletes and their backgrounds. I strive to meet the families. Some years are better than others. 

But, I say this with full humility: there was a collection of people -- parents, grandparents, athletes, etc -- who introduced themselves to me just to say how much they enjoyed the broadcasts. 

Oh, and they like my voice.

It is overwhelming.

And the criticism? Meh. It's hurtful but take it from where it comes. If it's legitimate, then work on fixing it. If it's not, move on. The only thing that bothered me about it was it happened during one of Chris Erway's first broadcasts with the Bruins. I knew how much he wanted to do a good job and bring the same zest that we give to Greenwich football and anything else we've called.

So be it. It made us even better. I'm fiercely proud of the football games we called but I do lament that we didn't do any others. I also absolutely treasure the laughs, road trips, and everything else.

But Chris and Dan certainly helped make the broadcasts that much stronger. Why? Because I know these guys. There's chemistry. There's comfort.

Dan has already signed on for the Prep Nationals if we get the chance to do it again in 2024.

Otherwise, I did what I do. I flew solo for basketball and hockey and baseball and lacrosse and even a football game or two.

Now we turn to other items before it revs up again in late summer. The FCIAC baseball semis are tomorrow.

The FCIAC baseball championship is Wednesday. 

The FCIAC softball championship is Thursday and I'm thrilled to say we've added that to the list of broadcasts.

There's also the Greenwich Town Party that Sean and I will work on this week.

All I can do is keep hoping for more after that until it's time to go to football in late August or early September.

And I'll keep hoping -- and nagging -- for more at Brunswick. We haven't touched wrestling and golf and we only did just a couple of soccer games and there's a lot more that we can bring.

Honestly, we could do so much more on the air and off. We've tried. We're just not there and we might never be there.

But, for now, we're finished.

Congratulations, Class of '23. 

Have a great summer, rising classes.

From Cosby Field in Greenwich, CT, good night everyone.



No comments: