Sunday, May 28, 2023

Supportive Sunday (and Sports)

Philadelphia, Aug 2022

 

It's simply about trying to do the right thing.

When a family member or loved one is hurting you want to help.

When you're invited to a memorial for someone, you go if you can.

(By the way, "if you can" is an important piece of that statement. Because sometimes you simply can't go.)

That's what Sean and I did today. Sometimes you don't understand why you're there. You just go.

And when they hug you tightly and tell you what it meant to have you there, you reassure.

It was my honor. And that it was.

Families are dicey, often messy things. I can speak from experience, sadly. They are combustible and confusing and confounding.

So as families evolve, you pull in the ones that you are closest to. That's how I feel.

Thus we were there today.

You go. Not for the departed -- not that they aren't a factor -- you go for the loved ones who need the hug.

Then you share laughs, much-needed fruity beverages, and a brownie.

A long-awaited brownie.

Oh, while you're there, you also talk about a baseball road trip because of course you do.

Now the question is ... where?

The parameters include a reasonable drive and most likely a day trip though I could be talked into a night in a hotel.

I should add that it would likely be three of us (me, Kris, Sean). There might be a fourth.

We're not against going back to a stadium we've been to before. So let's examine:

- Boston (Sean hasn't been to Fenway). Certainly, a lot to like about the Hub, and, come on, Fenway is a pretty great place. The only problem is Red Sox fans but, meh, if the Yankees aren't there it could still be a fun day. Our "fourth" would not go as she has no interest in ever stepping inside the city limits which is a shame.

- Philadelphia (Sean and I both went to Citizens Bank Park last year). We had a blast in Philly. I'm not against going back. It's basically the shortest of the trips also. Heck, we could probably even take a train if we wanted to.

- Baltimore (we've all been to Camden Yards). Baltimore is a good time. The food is good (the cab fries with cheese were amazing and, also, Boog's BBQ), the stadium is wonderful, and downtown Baltimore is fun. Plus the O's are a good team.

- Washington (Sean and I have not been to Nationals Park). I've driven by Nationals Park. But now we're on the fringe of the day trips. Oh, I've done it -- down and back to Washington, D.C. in a day -- but it's exhausting.

Now, for the outer reaches, but...

- Pittsburgh (None of us have been to PNC Park). So, it's basically 6.5 hours from Greenwich and about six from Kris's front door. That's a long day of driving and, I admit, I'm tempted in this case to make it a weekend and crash for a night. Then we can head dahn (speaking "Yinzer") to, ahem, Acrisure Stadium and other Steelers-related sites as well as grab some food at Primanti Bros. 

However, there's a solid chance Sean and I will pass through the Burgh in late July. But we probably wouldn't get to a Bucco's game.

So there's merit to this idea. Wacky as it might be.

Lastly, there's an old standby:

- Cooperstown (oh, we've all been). Yes, we have most definitely all been. However, Kris and I were last in Cooperstown in, let's see, Sept 1980? I know it was 1980 as I bought a circa 1979 Pirates (them again) pillbox hat with the Stargell Stars on it. Oh, and I also wore a Yankees t-shirt because I was that kind of kid. 

We all love Cooperstown. That's for sure. Call this our wild card option.

So I'm just blabbering at the back end of a long and busy weekend. Which will we pick? I guess watch this space for more info.

We're just going to try to make it happen. That's the first step.

No comments: