Saturday, May 06, 2023

Long Live the King

 

Stenciled uniform numbers of seniors at the baseball field

It was a baseball day at Brunswick.

It could be the final one for now and I certainly am sorry for that but let's not dampen the spirit.

It was senior day and it was a classic pitcher's duel. In the end, national power Poly Prep from Brooklyn scratched an unearned run in the first inning and won, 1-0.

But, first, there was the King.

Well, sure, the one in England, but also the one in Greenwich.

He's the furry one who woke me up around four in the morning.

I've lost track now. Was it when he was jumping over me? Or was this a meowing-in-my-face attack? Or did he knock something down?

Whatever it was, I sufficiently ignored him for an hour until I had to get up around five.

It was at that point that I caved in and fed him.

That was (almost) the last I would hear of him for hours.

Now I could go back to bed but, of course, I couldn't sleep.

So on went the TV to watch the coverage of the Royal Coronation.

King Rascal

Look, I get many (most) of you don't care at all. That's your thing and it's OK. I'm not into whatever TV show of the moment you're binge-watching and that's also OK. So why dump on it?

It's like those who mocked Cinco de Mayo yesterday. Look, it's not my thing and I didn't even eat Mexican food but it also didn't impact my day either.

But, as a student of history and media coverage, I popped the TV on and sat in bed. The Cat made his presence known once but otherwise disappeared.

I made it through the whole thing and fell back asleep finally while they were in Buckingham Palace as the coverage began to wrap up.

As for the coverage, I started with ABC, and let's just Michael Strahan once played (American) football. I lasted only a few minutes before switching to NBC. That was more tolerable.

Eventually, Sean came in from working at WGCH. I began to try to function given I had to prep for the baseball game.

Sean would head back to Dutchess County and I went to Brunswick.

Oh, but first, I grabbed lunch.

I went to a deli in town to get a sandwich called the Bruin (yes, in honor of Brunswick). In short, they apologized for not having chicken cutlets ready and, ultimately, gave me my sandwich for free. They felt I'd been patient and "it took too long."

Free sandwich in hand, I made the trip to Brunswick for the game. I did the usual drill of three walks to the outfield -- once with the audio, once with the video, and once after attempting to get the lineups.

Senior Day ceremonies occurred while I was setting up. Poly Prep gave me a completed lineup and roster while I figured out the Brunswick one. No big deal.

I called the game, packed up and left. I did notice a food truck showed up for the postgame bash but chose to head for home. 

King Rascal awaited.

A "Crazy Rob" day awaits tomorrow with Boomslang Basketball in New Milford at 8 a.m. Then another game at 9 a.m. Then I have to go to Wappingers Falls for the Renegades game.

It's a lot of juggling and hard work but I do it and, sometimes, there are kind words that keep driving me.

Before I left Brunswick today, somebody stopped me as I was returning the equipment. He said he walks out near the right field foul pole just so he can listen to me.

Those are the little things that keep me going.

Thus, onto tomorrow.

No comments: