Saturday, October 01, 2022

Three Game. Three Sites

 


So, you might know that I went to Middletown, NY last night.

Overall, I'd have to say it couldn't have gone better. Middletown won 29-14 in a fairly sloppy game with Monticello.

The people there were great and my partner Norris Gipson was as well. It was a long, exhausting night but I got home safe and sound.

Norris, calling only his fourth broadcast, asked me for advice as we walked out. I told him a few pointers -- right out of Mr. Scully, thank you very much -- and I think he could be very good at broadcasting.

I felt like I did my job and could be satisfied as I got ready for today.


In bed after midnight, I hit the ground running around 9 a.m. The first stop was breakfast. In Greenwich, there are many places that will create what is, effectively, called a Hotsy. That is an egg and cheese sandwich with a meat chili (dear God, NO BEANS), bacon, and potato cones.

And, yes, that's what I had to start the day.

With that for fuel, I proceeded to Brunswick, where I set up for the second broadcast. The booth was open and it was just me. I threw some equipment and place and departed.

Up next was a quick stop at WGCH where I picked up their remote equipment.

From there, it was onto Cardinal Stadium. My booth was unlocked and I set about getting ready for Greenwich and Westhill.

By 11:30, Chris Erway and I were in place and ready to go for the 1 p.m. kickoff between the Cardinals and Vikings.

Any FCIAC veteran knew how this game would play out. I called it last week. The Cardinals -- fresh off a 29-28 loss to Southington -- would execute to perfection against Westhill.

It wasn't close. The Cardinals scored a minute into the game and cruised to a 62-14 win.


Thanks to that, Chris and I were able to pack up and head to my car for the brief drive to Brunswick. I also had just enough time to stop and grab a bite to eat at Wick.

It was homecoming a Cosby Field and there would have been plenty of options to grab food but I'm not comfortable trying to ingratiate myself. So I wisely opted to buy a wrap before going to the field.

Brunswick and Salisbury have a little bit of a rivalry, especially in lacrosse. Still, rivalries don't always mean great games. The Bruins controlled the clock and scoreboard, playing a full game in a 49-6 win.

So, yeah, if you're keeping track, that's not a lot of ultra-competitive games.

It would be very easy to lament all of that. Yet I find myself proud of these three broadcasts. Each game had its little touches of humor as the outcomes were no longer a mystery.

Not everyone is going to appreciate my style -- or our style. Chris and I can be a comedy duo, mostly laughing at and making fun of ourselves. Blowouts can be quite difficult, especially in high school games, because the content that they produced is a nifty little dance.

These are student-athletes. They don't warrant the same criticism that higher levels do. Still, especially in the case of Greenwich/Westhill, who does that game serve? It's rarely been a competitive matchup. So, is there good that comes out of it?

Oh, it's hardly an issue to call a game like that. We just go about our business and call it as we see it. We're fair and honest without being harsh.

But we also might dip into a bag of tricks to keep the broadcast entertaining.

Still, there's reporting to do and that's our job. We found players and stories to praise and try to keep a positive spin on each game.

There was a lot to like.

Middletown getting their first win after an 0-4 start.

Greenwich rallying from last week behind big plays.

Brunswick executing outstanding plays and drives.

And, for what it's worth, the starting quarterback for Middletown was Sierra DiGiorgio. A softball player.

Who started at quarterback.

Nothing historic about that. Except that it was and she almost led the Middies to a score on the opening drive, slightly underthrowing what might have been a touchdown in the red zone. She only played briefly before their starting QB eventually led Middletown to the win.

Nonetheless, history was made. The first girl to start a game at quarterback in Section IX in New York.

Very cool.

As I sit home, following 12 quarters of football since last night, I find myself really proud of the effort of everyone. From the machine that is the Neversink Media Group out in Orange County to the little engine of WGCH and the "A-Team" duo of Adams and Erway. We called each play and we broke it all down as well trying to keep it lighthearted and fun.

We did our best and damn the critics, whoever they are.

We dealt with rosters that were handed out roughly an hour before game time and some that were completely inaccurate. We let it roll off of us and kept plunging forward.

It's going to feel weird having just one game next week but, of course, it's in Massachusetts. So Chris and I are trying to plot that out. 

Chaos and hijinks will follow I'm sure.


No comments: