Thursday, October 06, 2022

Doing Good

 


The conference in New York City has come to a close. We'll be back in just under three weeks for our last conference of 2022.

By all accounts, it was a success and there is much rejoicing in the land.

Honestly, I heard a lot of positive feedback about the quality of the presenters and a few kind words about the moderator. I also heard a few good things about the moderator's voice.

I'll take it.

Obviously, getting up at 4 a.m. and walking to the Greenwich train station in total darkness at 5 a.m. isn't the most desirable thing in the world but it comes with the territory. We were in the Harvard Club by 6:30 and set up not long after.

Guests began coming in a little after 7 and the event officially began at 8:45.

I get tucked into a corner near the podium that keeps me close to the speakers so I can communicate with them about time and any other concerns. For the most part, it's a very smooth operation but, occasionally, I have to gently end the session so we can stay on schedule.

It happens and everyone adjusts. In fact, it often works out best that way because then attendees are inspired to network to get their questions answered.

With my job done by 12:30, I went to the champagne reception, spoke with attendees, got feedback, laughed, and eventually worked my way back to get a train home.

It's a strange feeling to have not been in a car once today but I'm not complaining. I walked to anything that I didn't take the train to.

I was back with just enough time to set up and host "Doubleheader" from home.

But, I had just a little bit of time before I left Grand Central Terminal.

And, if you know GCT, then you know.

Black.

White.

And so good.

Sean texted me to see if he'd mind me coming to the apartment tonight, which is slang for his other home wanting him to come to stay with me. Whatever the case, I'm glad to have him and happy he is here.

But ... I had to get him a black and white cookie. I mean, there's no rule but I wanted to do it for him. Oh, we've covered the topic here. There's nothing like a Zaro's black and white cookie.

So, I bought two -- hey, I like them also! -- grabbed a slice of pizza and made my way home. Since he wasn't here when I walked in the door, I just left the cookie in the Zaro's bag on his bed.

"Homer do good?" -- courtesy "The Simpsons Movie"

Years ago, when I felt like I had let him down for having a failed marriage, Sean was my biggest concern. I wanted him to know that he always had his dad and that I have his back. Around that same time -- he would have been six or seven -- he got into watching "The Simpsons Movie." I mean, he watched it on every road trip on his portable DVD player and I'd hear him giggle on every viewing.

One of the key aspects of the Simpsons has always been the dynamic between the hapless father and the wise-cracking son.

There's a short but humorous exchange in "The Simpsons Movie" after one of Homer's failures that sets the plot further in motion. It's always resonated with us.

Homer, depleted of energy and delirious, looks at Bart, his loving but weary son. Hoping Homer's effort in this case has been positive, he asks, "Homer do good?"

Bart is blunt as always.

"Actually, you doomed us all," he says.

"Homer do good?" has been an exchange between us for years, prized among our collection of lines that many likely wouldn't understand.

And so today, following the completion of "Doubleheader," Sean came into my bedroom to say hello and, of course, pet the cat.

He also walked in joyously devouring his black and white cookie.

I looked and grinned.

"Homer do good?" I asked.

"Yeah," he said, grinning. "You did."

Oh yeah. Homer -- dear old dad -- did just fine for this day. 

No comments: