Wednesday, October 05, 2022

Hump Day Evening Rambling

 


With episodes of Schitt$ Creek on as I begin to write, this is what's on my mind:

Baseball's regular season came to an end today. The playoffs start on Friday but I'll miss the day-to-day grind of the year.

Still, the playoffs will be great, though the Yankees will be off for a few days. So I'll take the action of four other series. A delightful bounty of games start on Friday. Four games? Yes, please!

The end of the season gave reminders of how wonderful this game is. The waning days of the careers of Albert Pjuols, Yadier Molina, and Adam Wainwright gave Cardinals fans as well as fans around the world plenty to cheer about. Pujols in particular had a great finish, including surpassing 700 home runs.

They walked off the mound in unison a few days back, preparing to rest themselves for the playoffs.

Of course, I've rhapsodized about Aaron Judge and we've said more than enough.

But there are little things like Kurt Suzuki -- a catcher who was a 2014 all-star who had a respectable career -- got a chance to depart a game to an ovation and the love of his teammates.

Stephen Vogt -- a former Hudson Valley Renegade who became a two-time all-star catcher in Oakland -- was introduced by his kids before his final game today. Then, later on, he hit a home run. 

Baseball can be so romantic like that.

Around the sport, there are celebrations over personal achievements, like Jeff McNeil of the Mets, who won the National League batting title and was allowed to take a curtain call when that became final.

But the Mets have bigger goals.

So there is no baseball to watch tonight. Just preseason hockey and basketball.

Fortunately, I have to go to bed soon and get a good night of sleep before an early call in the morning.

I have to meet up with my Hunt Scanlon colleagues to head into New York City for another conference. 

I've said it before but it's worth repeating: I literally show up and talk. I marvel at what Chris, Scott, Mike, Erik, Walker, and the rest of the team do what they do. They organize and assemble the whole thing. They make it look easy.

I help put literature on the tables, speak the words I'm asked to speak and keep things on time. I'm not trying to minimize it. I do what I'm asked to do but I see myself as one small part of a team effort.

There are brilliant people who get up and present. They're the stars.

My colleagues are also stars.

I'm the moderator who aims to be on time and say something funny here and there.

I have to be at the Greenwich train station early tomorrow to head in.

It's the first time I'll walk to the train from the apartment.

Given today was a day of a new washer/dryer combo and a running toilet (it's fixed) and a still-running ceiling fan (it will get fixed), it will be great to go work at the conference.

It is a half-day event so it won't be as taxing. 

So I can (hopefully) be on "Doubleheader" later in the day to tell the stories of (hopefully) another job well done.

No comments: