Thursday, October 13, 2022

A Poetic Gift

 


I went down to the mailbox right before I was due to go on the radio today.

A small box awaited. It sat there comfortably, not stuffed in.

I quickly returned upstairs with a bounce in my step.

A new book was in that box.

"Skipping Rocks: A lifetime of lines and verse" is the work of our dear friend Susan. She selected poems that she has crafted over most of her life.

I don't know how she did it considering she has multiple notebooks dating back to the 1980s on a variety of topics.

This project was something she had told me about a few times. So I was thrilled when she texted me not long ago to say she completed it.

As soon as I had the Amazon link I knew I had to have a copy.

Susan has shared some of her poems with me; her talent is unmistakable. Poetry is an art and, let's face it, most of us love poetry even if we don't know it.

Do you love music that includes lyrics? Do I need to point out that's, essentially, poetry? Now, granted, some songwriting is more poetic than others, but I think you get my point.

I've often said that Vin Scully's play-by-play was poetic.

So, yeah, poetry can be found in multiple ways.

I know Susan has a deep love of Emily Dickenson as well as a love of rhyme. 

And so this book was relevant and perfect for this time.

(I'll leave the poetry -- and rhyming -- to Susan)

While the book is 62 pages, I've been taking it in slowly to savor the words. 

I will assure you that you'll deal with a variety of emotions.

Each poem is a work of depth and the meanings can sometimes take a moment to register (at least for me). I'm fortunate to be close to the author if I have questions.

So far, "Service Roads" and "A Distant Highway" have especially stood out to me. Sure, in part because of the topic in the titles (hi, I'm a fan of roads) but additionally because Susan's work also contains surprises that pay off. It reminds me of her brilliant novella, "The Blacksmith" and the surprises contained therein. We still laugh about it.

I'm so proud of her for doing this. I told her it was a gift and I'm overjoyed to have a copy, just as I'm thrilled at the reaction it has received. I know what this meant to her. I know why she did it. I know the timing involved also.

It's so important to her and I'm excited to support it.

Additionally, the cover art is by her also, if you're not already bowled over by her breadth of talent (journalist, editor, poet, chef, artist, mother, Billy Joel savant, and so on). 

The book is available in paperback and Kindle form and, while I have come to really like Kindle, certain works deserve the physical copy.

Even when Sean is cursing me out for having so many books when we have to move.

Rhyme away, Susan. Keep the poems flowing.

Maybe it will lead to a second book.

My collection will be growing.

(Sorry. Again, you're the poet. I'll volunteer to read the audiobook if you ever want to do that.)

"Skipping Rocks: A lifetime of lines and verse" is available on Amazon and will also be available at Barrett Bookstore in Darien, CT. 

No comments: