Friday, October 28, 2022

My Senior Discount

 

The press box at Cheshire Academy was too small so we roughed it

It's Friday in Connecticut.

If you need to go anywhere, well, you know the drill. 

Traffic is terrible.

So, in my case, I had to get to Cheshire for the call of Brunswick at Cheshire Academy. Chris Erway and I had a 6 p.m. kickoff. After checking the maps, we decided to ride together, leaving his stately manor at 2:30 p.m.

I was hoping to be there around 4:00.

The idea is to be at the game site at least 90 minutes early to set up and hopefully visit the field, among myriad other pregame things.

Shockingly, we rolled into Cheshire earlier than expected. I thought a coffee and a bottle of water would be a good thing so Chris and I went to a Dunkin Donuts (which should always be the name in my opinion).

I stepped to the restroom while he ordered. As I emerged, Chris asked if I wanted anything to eat. At first, I didn't.

Then Chris ordered a pumpkin donut.

Dammit. I caved.

Tiffani -- the nice staff member serving us -- was charmed at the notion of Chris convincing me to get a donut also.

Seconds later, my injury (grabbing an unnecessary donut) was further insulted.

She gave us a senior discount, announcing that I saved us something like 56 cents.

I was happy to save the money since Chris was buying but hold on now.

Do I look like I should get a senior discount?

I'm certainly aware some salt has mixed with the pepper (which I'm always told is "distinguished") and yes there are some signs of aging but I thought I still looked reasonably young at heart.

By the end of the night, I essentially had one foot in the proverbial grave.

Chris, who has called me old for years (and I do have probably 17 years on him), was now absolutely in his glory.

He was overjoyed, to be clear.

Here I am, not deserving of a senior discount from Dunkin Donuts, not an AARP member, and under 55 years old, now receiving such status.

Sean -- my lovely child, who has long mocked my age -- was also delighted.

So I put the two of them in touch via text so they could enjoy the moment at my expense. I figured I might as well have fun with it.

We also prepared to discuss it during the Brunswick/Cheshire Academy broadcast. The game didn't allow to note it for long though I did drop it in later in the night. I believe the topic of my mortality was briefly touched on.

So, yeah, sense of humor and all.

It was a night in which there were problems with the video feed. I can't quite make this clear enough that Chris and I don't control such things. I can only control things in "the booth" and, even then, a lot of it is out of my hands once we're on the air.

In this case, we definitely had no control. We did, however, have an audio feed available (you know, as in Robcasting).

Despite my advanced age, I remembered to put the broadcast on the Internet.

Oh, and the game was pretty good, with Brunswick winning by three.

Plus family stopped by, though briefly. So great to see Michael, Ashley, Isabella, and Gabby.

Chris and I grabbed dinner after the game and laughed basically all the way home.

We're on to Darien tomorrow for Greenwich and the Blue Wave. Listen to us on WGCH and Robcasting.

I will have my walker with me.

No comments: