Sunday, October 30, 2022

Basketball Goes Boom!

 


There are those in the broadcasting business who think that certain things are beneath them.

I remember a lengthy discussion once taking place on the interweb about covering sub-varsity sports, for instance. But I've proudly called any level and, basically, any sport.

So when I was asked if I'd like to do fourth-grade girls basketball for Boomslang Basketball Club, based here in Greenwich, I thought it sounded like fun.

Look, my "have headset, will travel" mantra has always served me well in the willingness to broadcast, basically, anything and anywhere. 

The limits I have include anything that won't sound good or will somehow be embarrassing (either for me or the athletes). Otherwise, chances are, I'll give it a try.

The basic issue is too many in "the biz" are inflexible as they sit in their tower. They'd cringe at what I did today.

Not me. I didn't flinch.

When covering something like this, the details of what time the game will take place and where can be a bit late arriving. I confirmed late in the week that there would be a game today and it would take place in Hartsdale, NY.

The location was an added bonus, for Westchester County will always hold a special place in my heart. I worked in White Plains for years and could often be found around that part of the county.

Hartsdale, just south of White Plains, was also where my paternal grandparents lived and where my father was both in 1929. Their house -- on Central Park Ave (NY route 100) -- is still there, having been converted into a dental office many years ago.

That just added to my motivation to get up and go to the Leffell School in Hartsdale at 9:30 this morning.

Sure, after entirely investing in two football broadcasts this weekend, it was pretty enticing to take it easy and watch football on TV. But I fed Rascal and summoned the energy to walk out the door after being appropriately caffeinated.

I made the commitment. People were now counting on me. I'd be there.

I made my way into Hartsdale, passing my grandparent's house as well as the old-style IHOP that we used to eat at as a family, and was soon at the gym.

I guess I failed to recognize that the game was at 10, so time was a little tight, but I was set up in the corner of the bleachers in no time. Ryan Maloney -- my Boomslang contact -- assisted me with a roster that was loaded with only first names. I questioned that but got the expected answer: just in case parents didn't want their kids' full names on the air.

Oh, this would be different and it's possible that it will change in the future but I saw no reason to push the topic. This was, overall, a test broadcast to see if everything worked.

I lightly promoted the effort on Twitter and did get a few listeners on the Robcasting feed.

So with just first names, I got to work. A win for Boomslang (which, by the way, is a highly poisonous snake...blech...) would mean they'd play in a championship game later in the day in Yorktown. I was invited to call that one also.

From there, it was basketball. The game took a mere 45 minutes, with Boomslang falling to Born Leaders 9-2.

The broadcast became standard operating procedure for me. It seems Boomslang is happy as they posted the archived audio on their site.

Many years ago, WGCH had me broadcast the football championships in the GYFL here in Greenwich. I questioned the idea. Then we did it, had a blast, and learned that broadcasting anything was possible.

The other thing is if I didn't broadcast it, someone else would.

It's simply a matter of being armed with the right information. I had enough to make this morning work.

Let's face it. If I have a roster -- even one with first names only -- it just becomes the game from there. Just describe it.

Sure, I don't love being the subject of curiosity as many people in the gym took note of the strange "old" man sitting in the corner of the bleachers but, obviously, there were people to vouch for me.

With the Boomslang loss, there would be no trip to Yorktown (up near Mahopac, if you don't know). Instead, I went back past my grandparents' house and pulled into the driveway.

It's probably the first time I stopped there since I was a little kid. I snapped a picture from the driveway.

The house is on the left. The other structures were added later

Then I moved toward Greenwich and connected with my sister. Sean and I joined her for a nice late lunch in Darien.

Now, finally, I'm watching football and some hockey as well.

The best news about all of this is that it kept me from sleeping all day because each time I sat down in my chair at home I passed out.

My hope is I'll sleep well tonight.

I'm sure the cat will have something to say about that.

No comments: