Wednesday, August 31, 2022

The Serena Factor

 

(Photo: Getty/CBS Sports)

It was a New York event.

Oh, I'm not talking about Mets/Dodgers at Citi Field, though that was a dandy also.

No, let's face it, the Serena Williams Show at Arthur Ashe Stadium is the event in the event town.

You've probably heard that Serena is "evolving away from tennis," meaning that she will likely retire after the US Open at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

That's all New York needs to hear. The celebrities are out and the tickets are gone and the attention is intense.

Tonight, in the second round, she played Anett Kontaveit and Serena took care of her 7-6, 2-6, 6-2.

I felt for Kontaveit. 

Heck, I'll feel for any opponent now because they're not only playing Williams but they're playing an incredibly loud, supportive crowd. 

And, if I'm being fair, they're playing against the broadcast as well.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I have a ton of respect for Chris Fowler, Chris Evert, and John McEnroe. Not only that but I love listening to them.

But they're completely rooting for Serena and I suppose it's fair to ask if you can blame them.

Still, I find my brain spinning to how wonderful it would be to hear another voice calling this.

Sure, Dick Enberg or Pat Summerall would be wonderful but, oh, who am I kidding?

Vin Scully. Perfect.

Now it would be the right voice because he's Vin but there's more.

That roar of the crowd would be even more pronounced because Vin would let it sound out. He learned it while listening to college football in his family apartment in the 1930s and 40s in Manhattan.

I can just imagine how Vin would simply describe Serena as "The Queen of Queens" and then lay out and let the sound drown everything else out.

It would be magnificent.

That's not to say the ESPN crew of Fowler, Evert, and McEnroe were poor in this regard. No, they added to it but heaped praise on Williams and added to the majesty of what they had witnessed.

Serena moves into the third round but also has a doubles match with big sister Venus next.

If you are a contrarian or just don't like the attention in these spots, the Serena love-fest will quickly become overkill.

If you can simply enjoy greatness then settle in for a fun ride.

I've watched a fair share of tennis but I can't say I'm any kind of expert. So in determining who the "GOAT" is I simply don't know. I mentioned that on "Doubleheader" today and I mean no disrespect to Williams. I assume Serena is the best ever but I also remember the dominance of Steffi Graf and Martina Navratilova along with several others.

Obviously, no harm is intended. Serena is simply magnificent and this New York event will continue to play out.

If you're interested, join the ride. If not, just ignore it.

It's hard to not respect it.

No comments: