Tuesday, August 16, 2022

End of the Sweet Sixteenth

 

Yes, that's a cat. Why do you ask?

So, for those looking to impart snark about South of the Border, your words will be heard and ignored.

We slept great and had a good night. That's the purpose of lodging, correct?

The pool was warm and pleasant. It was also the first time I've been swimming in...well...a while. The bed was comfy and the lights were out in our room before 10 p.m. We reemerged from room 102 around nine this morning.

We checked out and that was that.

So, the question was what to do for breakfast. South of the Border has a few dining options to start the day but, oh who am I kidding, we all know where the car was going.

Waffle House. It might have taken three minutes because there was construction on US 301/501.

But, my goodness, it was wonderful. The eggs were right and the toast was crunchy and ham was hot and the hashbrowns were covered and the waffle was perfect.

Then we headed to a new roadside experience: Buc-ee's.


The gas station/country store with a beaver for a mascot has been around since 1982 and is known for having multiple gas pumps (such as 120 at their New Braunfels, TX location), super clean restrooms, and tasty BBQ.

They've opened a location in Florence, SC. Just a half-hour south of South of the Border, that was reason enough for us to investigate.

We both walked away impressed. We also walked away intrigued because we didn't spend a dime. We'll have to try the food another time.

We didn't walk every corner but we saw enough. The restrooms certainly deserve their praise because they were large and clean. In fact, everything was clean in the store. There was nice energy and friendly staff along with lots of things to consider.

Clothing? Yup. Camping supplies? Sure. Home goods? You bet. Candy, snacks, drinks, sandwiches, coffee, nuts, beer, souvenirs...

Yes. All of it.

Alas, nothing tempted us enough to buy, and we walked out empty-handed.

We drove back towards South of the Border and, eventually, into North Carolina. It was on to Fayetteville and, specifically, Stedman for the next three days.

Kristy, Hector, Evelyn, Eleanor, Isabel, Crow, Stache, Pancho, Chico, Muppett, and Speedy all awaited. Some of those are cats' names.

Our Rascal sits back in Connecticut, of course, so this is our own personal cat sanctuary.


I say that as the hyper-affectionate Pancho sits to my right (yes, that's him on the pizza box above).

This place has always been my comfort food and today was no different. Within minutes of arriving, we were right back in the car and driving onto the post at Fort Bragg as Hector needed to return something. We did a walk of the PX (the on-base shopping center) and didn't buy anything there either.

We hit Walmart (come on!), grabbed coffee (I was struggling to stay awake), and headed back to the house where we had dinner and are hanging out.

My tally for today was new windshield wipers and toothpaste. and I ordered something for when I get home. So, yay.

But now, the kids are all on devices and, honestly, so are the adults (hi!). The cats are being cats.

Once again, I look forward to sleep.

*****

While it's self-serving to mention this, it's still worth noting that we can mark the anniversary of opening this corner of my world. Post number one rolled off the computer on Aug 17, 2006 -- 16 years ago tomorrow. 

That computer was my old Dell monster. It went in the dump after years of service back in May. It was time. It was done.

I was nervous about starting a blog because I didn't want to do it and quickly flame out like I did with a podcast. However, "Exit 55" continues to be a blessing to me as I embraced a part of my soul that I always wondered about. I was told that I had the ability to write. But I had to actually try it. 

I did and here we are, for better or worse. It has created and enhanced relationships and probably hurt a few as well.

Aug 16 marks the day that both Elvis and Babe Ruth died. "The King of Rock and Roll" departed on this day in 1977 while the GOAT -- George Herman -- died in 1948.

Each had a large collection of hits and a few misses as well.

So, as we turn the page on beginning the 17th year of this madness, I once again thank all of you who have read, commented, and encouraged me. 


No comments: