Sunday, August 14, 2022

Primed for Pedro

The destination for Day 1

My bag is packed.

The car is ready.

I know the route.

The adventure will begin.

Sean and I are off to the Carolinas once again.

This has been an annual rite since 2014 (save for 2020 thanks to COVID, of course). 

We'll start with a night at South of the Border, the famed tourist trap at the South Carolina border. Then it will be a couple of nights with Kristy and company near Fayetteville, NC before we finish things up for a few nights outside of Philadelphia.

The greatest battle to me is just allowing myself to enjoy the journey.

The route is pretty clear in my mind. Hang on for a moment and I'll list it.

Ready?

I-95.

That's it.

OK, that's not really it but it's mighty close.

Things will begin by driving under 95 and working a few back roads until I make the left onto I-95 south. But, a few minutes later, we'll head onto I-287 and go from there, reconnecting with 95 once in New Jersey and once again in Delaware.

But, of course, I'm agonizing over where the problems will be. 

I'm skipping New York City and the George Washington Bridge for this reason alone. But there will be other delays.

Near Philadelphia is possible. Same with Washington, DC. North Virginia will likely be a headache. Perhaps Richmond. I've also spied construction projects in Maryland and North Carolina.

So, yeah.

I've written many times that a road trip is like sports to me. I can strategize and make adjustments. 

It will feel different to hit the road leaving from Greenwich versus leaving from Mahopac. But within minutes, it will just be driving.

Breakfast will be the first topic. 

The mind games will begin after that.

Will I take the Garden State Parkway to the New Jersey Turnpike and will I tun the Turnpike the rest of the way? 

If I'm being honest, I tend to be a "shunpiker" in that I like avoiding tolls, such as the one in Delaware on 95 near the Maryland state line.

I can always use 295 to dance around some of the New Jersey Turnpike tolls also.

But these are decisions I'll make on the fly. If I'm rolling, I'll pay the dang toll. It's also part of the experience.

The idea of this is to continue to enjoy special times with Sean as well as family and friends. It doesn't last forever.

So I have to try to stay in the moment. I have to enjoy crossing the Delaware River and tunneling under Baltimore. I have to savor passing the clock tower in Richmond and the crossing of each state border.

While it's fine to be aware of what I might want to do miles ahead, there's nothing wrong with chilling out and simply enjoy the experience.

So I did laundry and packed it in my suitcase (OK, duffle bag). 

Tomorrow will begin with getting dressed and packing up the car.

Then it's making sure Sean is ready and hitting the road.

Then we hope we can keep a good pace.

I have no illusions that we'll make great time. I'm just hoping we make decent time so we can enjoy a little time in South Carolina.

So, I would guess we'll be talking to you from South Carolina tomorrow night.

No comments: